when to prepare for upcoming season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, Feb 10, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I was just wondering when is it time to start looking for more accounts, sending out fliers and contacting potential commercial customers?
    What do you think grabs a potential customers eye, making you stand out over the others?
    How do you place a bid on a business like a gas station or an office plaza when there is a small amount of grass?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always try to get customers throughout the year. Always talk to friends and family to pass the word. Also make sure to the pass the word to current customers about referral discounts for providing you with new customers.

Start now and never let up until the business closes it doors.

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I am always looking for Quality accounts. No clock or calender to go by. I have my radar on at all times.

The less desirable accounts will find you if your cheeeep. Got enough of them.

I think your work alone should separate you from some of the rest. There are alot of Good LCO's out there that do good work. You will (in most cases) never get there accounts. Its the Mow-Blow-N-Go LCO's that sometimes do a less desirable job. Detail...Detail...Detail. Pay close attention to little things like mow patterns, tracks on pavement, swirls on the lawn, clipping or debris along the road or curb, broken limbs, dead or damaged plants and act on them. Don't be hesitant to get off that mower and move a water hose.

Commercial Properties...you need to know someone on the inside or start out dirt cheap. If your new to the business, commercial properties might not be for you. Usually takes 30 days to get paid and that could hurt. IMO

Small amounts of grass. Have a Minimum based on your operating cost. My Minimum is $35.00 to drop the gate for seasonal customers. I have gone below that on a 12 month agreement that was inside my service area.

O-O

4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Feb. and March. are alway great times to go after new business. Thats when I do the majority of my advertising. I think a lot of people start planning for the Spring in march. So you want to hit them with ads when the lawn is on their minds.

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

BINGO

I think about ways to improve my business everyday but 95% of potential customers don't think about it until they can see the grass in the early spring.

6. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

All times of the year is a good time. My best time is now!

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Contracts have been out since the 5th of February. Have marketing appoointments set up throughout this week. You know the saying "the early bird gets the worm". :cool: