When to put in bid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bnbelim, Aug 8, 2006.

1. bnbelim

bnbelim LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the commercial accounts and there is a few places in my area I would like to bid on. How do I go about doing it? Estimate the land and give a bid? Should it be in writing? When shoudl I do it? thanks!
  2. You need to ask them. They're all different.
  3. BPLS1993

BPLS1993 LawnSite Member

haggerty is right they are all different, majority i would say are jan starts so in by sept ushually, the first thing you need to do is get in contact with a propert manager and find out if they are expecting bids, then possibly walk the grounds with them and get back in a day or two with a written estimate. then go from there
  4. coney12

coney12 Banned
    from mars

if I were in your shoes eddy,the first thing I would do is contact the person
    in charge of purchasing services and ask them when will the lawn maintenance go up for bid.that way you don't step on thee other lawn care company shoes. secondly, ask them if you could be placed on the bidders list.some company's have a list.
    third, ask them if it would be ok for you to send them a letter of introduction.
    this should include name,what services you provide,if insured,reference's,ect.ect.good luck
  5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Get a 3 ring binder and go to whichever one you want to estimate and ask when do they start taking bids. Take down the information and be ready to estimate and give your bid when the time comes up.
  6. bnbelim

bnbelim LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, just what I needed to hear. I'm goign to be running my business out of New Hampshire. We still have snow on the ground in april the majority of years :). I'm going to call local banks and firm ASAP to find out when I CAN put in a bid.
  7. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

If bidding on government work, try to attend the bid opening. You can review the other bidder's submissions and this will help you to learn what prices win bids. Also make sure (for govt. bids) that you have every single piece of paperwork included and done right. Any cut corners can automatically disqualify you even if you're the lowest bidder.
  8. bnbelim

bnbelim LawnSite Member

What is considered governement land? Also, what do you mean by having every corner included? I plan on bidding on a few restaraunts, banks, and other small firms.
  9. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Local county or state props along with federal props are govt bids. Usually they have posted at their respective admin locations the dates of coming bids. You can get on their mailing list for services by requesting to be included. As mentioned it is best to have all your paperwork filled out properly when bidding on government contracts as the lowest Responsible bidder is generally awarded not simply the lowest bidder. You will find local businesses more forgiving than the fed. govt. Less paperwork also.
  10. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member