When to quit my day job?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Watson's Landscaping, May 13, 2008.

1. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well guys the biz took off this spring to the point that I dont think I can take on anymore clients and still work my other 40hr a week job. But with the lawns I have there just is not the income there that needs to be for me. I guess I'm asking how do I know when its time to quit my day job and go full time into the lawn biz.
  2. OHara Landscape

OHara Landscape LawnSite Member

When you're bringing in a salary of more than your 40 hr a week job.

Gross $$ - Expenses - Insurance - Benefits - Taxes - 35% re-investment for growth = your net salary You also have to take into account when you have helpers.

Everyone has their own system this is what has worked for me anyway.
  3. you'll know when.
  4. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

when u have saved money to pay all your bills for at least 3 month;s - have built a good customer base -{took me 3 years}- have good equipment / and back ups- bacuse it will brake sometimes 2 at a time - are willing to give it your all the first few years. start at 7 end at 8. you might have to quit your day job and get a night one to help u have more time to build up customers. or go part time wit your job now,if they will let you. and in the winter u might have to get a job agen unitl u get some yearley contracts to hold u over to summer. hope this helps.