When to quit??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mikec_j, Nov 3, 2007.

1. mikec_j

mikec_j LawnSite Member

I have a 94 Dodge 3500 dump body with the cummins turbo desiel its been running like crap took it to the dealer he says turbo is bad ($1500-2000) to fix it also may need new injector pump ($2000-2500) truck has 150k already put $2000-2500 in it last year (fuel pumps+inspection stuff) whats the concensus?? time for new truck or what

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

have you fould out what it is worth on a trade. friend had a simular truck, 160k, got like $8k for a trade. add that to the $4-5k you need to dump into it, might be time. on the other hand, its paid for, taxes are lower, how bad is it?? judgment time for you my friend. id think about a newer one

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't depend on a 14 year old truck any more than I would depend on a 14 year old skid steer, or even a five year old skid steer. Might be nice to have it around as a backup if the trade in value is too low. I have a 24 year old dump truck, put about $2500 in it this year to fix it up... but it's not my daily driver by any means.

I would say it depends largely on how busy you are with the truck. If you need it every day, I would consider something built this century.

4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

You need to get rid of that lemon while you can. Remember that time is money and when your truck is down you are not only not making money but spending money on it to repair it. Our company just bit the bullet and bought 2 new Ford F-150's, we did not plan to do this but because we have fleet one we can see what trucks are costing us the most to operate.