When to replace mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVELAWN, Oct 1, 2005.

1. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Currently my company runs 3, 52" Wright Standers. 2 have about 1000 hours, one is new and only has about 250. I keep one as a backup and run the other two about 3-4 days per week. For those that have owned Standers, when did you find hour wise, it was wise to replace. BTW I am strict with maintenance, but would rather sell and make a few bucks to put towards a new machine, rather than beat it too death and have it with no value...

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We have put around 4-500 on each of ours so far since last June. Physically and mecahanically, they are still great. I am buying another Stander and a Sentar Sport for next season, so I figure I will keep one of the '04s next year, and sell one to buy its replacement, giving me one machine with 5-600 hours, and three with 0 hours to start the season. I have seen some of the Standers with 1500+ hours on them , and still be on the original pumps and wheel motors. I'd say anywhere before 1000-1500 hours(depending on physical appearance as well as mechanical) if you still want to make anything from it.

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

1000 hrs. up here seems to be the best point to sell. These machines will sell, for guys that cannot afford a new machine, buying yours would be the next best option. The motor makes a difference as well, kawisaki seems to hold a little more value. We have 2 standers, new this season, that replaced the Great Dane standers. These machines average 4-500 hrs. a season (cutting only), and will go at least 1 more season with us. We have 4 lazers that will need replacement, so it seems best to alternate seasons when replacing these machines.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would say run them into the dirt, all while saving your money. Then buy new ones. TAke all the old ones and make "One running old one" and there you have your back up. Use the rest for parts to keep that one running

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a stander with 18 briggs with just shy of 1900 hrs. I sold it to a local competitor and the next week, they had to replace the clutch and the fuel pump. Neither were major and they still run the machine daily. everything else was orriginal on the machine.

I had another stander with 19 kaw that i sold with about 350 hrs. I had two issues with that unit. 1) ground wire to battery would frequently break, resulting in an engine that wouldnt run. 2) rear tries would pop the beads resulting in flat tires. IMO, nothing out of the ordinary. However compared to a metro Ive had running in the field for the past 6 years with out a single thing go wrong (only changed fluids and belts), I would say wrights are prone to mechanical issues.

6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:rolleyes: so sell them at a 1000 hours thats like a seasnon and a half for some, if you maintain your stuff youll be shocked as to how long this stuff will last making repairs as soon as something doesnt look or sounds right. i have a 97" walker with 6700 hours on it with all original parts for the exception of the motor and it works 4 days a week. tony

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about the standers, but if you maintain them, you are better off trying to get more hours from them. We may all like shinny new stuff, but that will cost you money in the long run. Use mowers to make you money for as long as possible.

On todays machines, 1000 hours is really nothing. Problem is, most people don't keep them very long these days to really make the full potential off each machine.

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I believe firmly in running the unit till its totally useless, then replacing it. I see no point in having the newest fanciest and most impressive machines when a beat up looking older unit will work just fine at a lesser cost to get.

9. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

I am beginning to think I might just want to keep running them as long as I have a good backup...

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I quess it would depend on the amount of hours a machine gets in a years time. I currenty put about 350 hours a year on my main mower. Im planning on keeping it 6 years for total depreciation and then moving it to a back up and then purchase a new mower for tax purpose and to have a more reliable mower in the fleet. I think with good luck and proper maintence, I can expect 2000 hours from a machine.