1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to seal new driveway?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by gadfreak, Jul 30, 2004.

1. gadfreak

gadfreak LawnSite Member
    from nj

Just had driveway paved last week. When should I seal it? I'm in NJ.

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Wait at least a year......Wait till the driveway begings to slightly grey
  3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

There is a test to tell if the asphalt is ok to seal, basically when the water doesnt bead on the pavement. Buy a high quality coal tar emulsion sealer , add about 3 lbs of playsand to a gallon for traction. Best to do on a sunny day with temps 45 degrees and rising.
  4. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

Is this asphalt or concrete? Concrete--different sealers at different times, but some are asap!!

Don't know much about asphalt, but email me any q's about concrete.
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Worked for a paving company for a couple of months, they always told customers wait approx. 2 years before seal coating new pavement. You won't need to buy a expensive seal coater either as another member stated. Just buy a regular can of driveway sealer, you probably won't need the crack filler either, I wouldn't bother adding sand either for traction, if you want traction get the crackfiller seal coat and spread it a seal coat broom.

6. straightline

straightline LawnSite Member
    from venus

Six months min, do the water test first and if it dont bead then apply sealer, you can get it a Home depoe
  7. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

2 seasons, then had it done and every other year after, that is what i do and it works great. The guy that does mine comes back every so often and touches up areas that might of gotten scraped from plowing.