When to seed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JRSlawn, Feb 10, 2007.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I was wondering when you guys started to seed lawns I am in Ohio and I have a customer that wants us to put a lawn in early march I ushally don't start lawn till mid april. Let me know what you guys think

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Last week of April.....if your lucky.
    Lot of guys are strictly May15th - Oct15th.

Mid March is 5 weeks away and the last 21 days in a row have been well below freezing. Dont like your chances.

3. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with kootoo on this one also-- Mid april
    I know a company that seeds in March but they always end up overseeding .

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

If they must have it go ahead. Explain to them that there will be a reduced rate of germination and that you cannot promise anything pending temperatures. Give them the reasoning behind it so that they understand. Then explain you would need to do a second application at the earliest possible date pending weather patterns.

Just like seeding with Crab Grass control.....as example. You will only get about 10% germination due to the chemicals but then again, thats 10% more than they had.

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Germination is one issue but the biggest problem is that the soil is too wet to work and grade properly.....

Sell her sod....you can start tomorrow.

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all based on your local weather how any thing grows. I like to seed in my area mid april on, but who is the say to what the weather will bring. If your getting early spring go for it. The ground must stay around 60 degree for germination. My dead line in fall used to be oct. 15, last fall i hydro-seeded 3 skab jobs around thanksgiving and they grew. The only thing about seeding early is if it does not germiante quick you are subject to erosion from spring rains. If you get warm weather in march and you can work the dirt with out any slopes go for it. I hydr-seed so i dont have to worry about march winds blowing mulch, but i would be concerned about april showers washing.
    Mike

7. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks allot guys I am going to try to talk them into sod if not they are just going to have to wait. The only thing I worry about is some dumb ass comming in and telling then I am stupid and that he can see now. Oh well part of the business. Thanks again guys

8. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the deal with people saying winter in the best time to seed? It never made sense to me for the same reasons late fall is a bad time to seed. Any opinions on this?

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

frost seeding is good because the freeze thaw works the seed into the soil and since the seed is dormant when the temps are right you will get good germination. also the climate in fall is good because you have moist nights and cool days. so you wont need irrigation in some cases.

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Personally i push sod on people because they will be happier with it not everyone is happy waiting a full season for a decent seed lawn