1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

    Dismiss Notice

When to sell.....?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by zwhit81, Feb 4, 2014.

  1. zwhit81

    zwhit81 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 141

    I know I will get a million different opinions and that is great! However I would also like some feedback as to my statement/question.
    I run a part time lawn care business. My first ZTR did not have an hrs meter but I ran it for years and probably had about 2500hrs on it when I sold it. However, the last summer I spent tons of money repairing it but never got it back. So at what point should you sell a ZTR assuming you don't want to do a ton of work? Or you can approach the question as when do ZTRs generally start having major issues assuming that they have been well maintained and only run about 3hrs per day? I am thinking of selling mine around 1200-1500hrs.
     
  2. TTS

    TTS LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 615

    A lot of it depends on how it was used/ abused and the maintenance performed. You can find tight well maintained machines with 4000 on the clock but it would be kind of rare. Generally it seems like 2000 tends to be the turning point. You may be right on the money at 1500 since it has some life left before major repairs it will increase the value
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  3. sharperimagelawns

    sharperimagelawns LawnSite Member
    Posts: 80

    Yeah I agree in most situations, 1500-2000. At that point there are still a decent number of respectable buyers out there who are willing to pay you a fair price for a reletivly clean, well maintained machine.
     
  4. Mow Mony

    Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA
    Posts: 229

    With our exmark mowers, they start requiring expensive repairs around 2500 or so hours. We have run some everyday for 5-6 seasons, and they are pretty worn and tired at that point. We have 3-4 parts mowers where the engine went out, headgasket blew or started using excessive oil and the rest of the mower is too worn out to make it worth fixing. So those went from a working $1200-1500 used mower we could sell pretty easily, to a parts mower the second something major failed... so selling them prior would have made more sense. Finding that sweet spot is what we have been focusing on.

    Towards the end of their life, the safety switches will randomly stop working, pullies wear out and belts fall off, the hydros/wheel motors are slow, spindles start getting noisy and/or lockup, bearings are pretty worn, the engines are down noticeably on power and they need more attention in general. This caused us downtime in troubleshooting/repair, and lost productivity by keeping some of them too long since the older mower wasn't performing as well.

    Some of ours did get 3000 hrs of use though, but we have now decided to resell them around or before the 2000 hour mark and buy new. I would still buy a used one with low hours for the right price, but these are harder to find, especially frequently enough to outfit all of our crews. Brickman and some of the larger outfits around here run theirs hard everyday for two seasons and then sell them at the end of the warranty, so their numbers must support doing that.
     
  5. 123hotdog

    123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 481

    For years I've bought wore out commercial mowers. I've gotten pretty lucky till I got into Kubotas. Never thought I would see the day somethings parts were more expensive than Harley parts.:laugh: I have since changed my ways. I bought two new BadBoys last year. I am planning on only keeping them till the warranty runs out. I am demoing a new Worldlawn walk behind. People say they are junk but if I'm only keeping them till the warranty runs out? Well you get the idea.:walking:
     
  6. zwhit81

    zwhit81 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 141

    Thanks for all of the input. I do not do a lot of the work on my own mowers and since I am looking at 40accounts and I am a part time guy I cannot afford down time. I currently have a Ferris with 700 hrs so I will probably sell it as 1500hrs. 90% of the hrs on it was with me driving and the other 10% I was there watching. My mowers are not abused too much.
     

Share This Page