when to sharpen?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tim cooper, May 8, 2002.

1. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

average time before u guys sharpen blades? just curious... 20/25 hours? longer?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

every day.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I switch out blades on a very regular basis. I keep several sharp sets on the trailer at all times.

4. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

on an 8+ hour a day mowing sched, change/sharpen everyday, absolute bare minimum every other day.

under 8 hours every other day to every 3 depending on conditions and time of season.

5. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Every single day! During the "intense" part of the growing season I'll change them in the middle of the day. Then again when I get home,for the next day.
    I sharpen and balance myself.:cry:

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

When i get in after a days work, ill take off that set and scrape the decks clean and install newly sharpend blades, this is everyday.I have around 12 sets i run nothing but double blades on all my mowers,except for a 21" Proline. Marks Mowing Service ........(.keep em sharpe and the lawns look great,and the grass stays healthier)

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Around every 8 hours or so. With the slower growth from the Primo apps I may get more time out of my blades also since growth has slowed!

8. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Everyday, depending on the season.......

9. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I some times change blades two times a day, it just depends on how many yards I do, Currently I have a dozen blades for my 21 lawnboy, 3 sets of blades each for my proline 32 and john deere 42 sst freedom mulcher deck and a set of blades for my 30" ariens hi lift bagger Rider.

10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Usually once per day, but depending on which lawns I do sometimes twice.