1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

when to spread compost over yard

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by cpt87gn, Sep 11, 2009.

1. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

when the best time of year to spread Compost - Manure over my yard im in san antonio texas will do it anygood now

2. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't know really, but I would expect that you would put t down when the grass is growing, just like fertilizer, weed killer, etc.

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Where is Kiril when you need him???

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It's funny... I was watching, "Magnum P.I.", the other nite, and they had Higgins spreading compost out of a wheelbarrow for their ending scene.
    Back then - even the Hollywood types knew what compostted manure was all about. :)

Up here we wouldn't put it on frozen ground, and would want to make sure it is worked its way into the soil well b4 winter. Snow has a tendancy to extract OM into the snow bank and wash away with the melt.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Right here buddy boy. :waving:

Best times to apply compost at anything other than a light top dress is fall and spring. Generally speaking apply when the turf is actively growing.

6. E.L.Co

E.L.Co LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i would like to add that it has been very hot this summer in san antonio so i would wait till it cools down due to the high heat of the compost itself as a result of the decomposition

7. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I would wait until oct..due to the heat of the compost. I have a big job due in oct and im looking foward to it. Dont forget to push the areation jobs.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Do you believe the compost will be hot after it is spread on the ground? Don't not use compost that is still cooking.

9. E.L.Co

E.L.Co LawnSite Member
    from Texas

it will be hot just as the pile it came from when it goes in my trailer. you can actually cook a turkey in a pile of compost, it reaches 200 degrees f
    i apllied some in the dead heat of summer for a picky ritzy customer, only burnt a few spots as it was heavily watered, dethached said spots and did some weed n feed coming back nicely

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

And that would put you about 50 degrees over the maximum recommended temp.

A finished compost will not be "hot".