when to spread compost over yard

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by cpt87gn, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly... thank you... people are applying raw compost out there.

Will raw compost - Do a soil good?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It won't necessarily do a soil bad, depends on the source material and how you plan in using it. Organic mulches (ex. wood chips) is essentially uncomposted material, yet it is used all the time out here without problems.

3. E.L.Co

E.L.Co LawnSite Member
    from Texas

please define finished compost... one place sells it here its loaded by cu yard into my trailer and i apply it by wheel barrow and rake and water it immediately, thats how its done here in san antone

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Briefly, one that you can no longer distinguish the source material, and is done "cooking".

5. E.L.Co

E.L.Co LawnSite Member
    from Texas

ah understood indeed, texas is so hot though 50 yd piles have no choice but to build up heat. And as the only supplier locally no ones the wiser in my part of town, even me. thats why i pitch areation and composting, mulching etc.. round oct-nov. also keeps me busy up to christmas

6. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

e.l co we get our at fertile garden on 1604 and culebra thay have good products

7. E.L.Co

E.L.Co LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i go to gardenville off starcrest or by bracken gun range, its closer

8. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I would use EC to measure salt content to determine if the compost is too "hot" to apply in the heat.

As far as when you will get the most benefit from it... well it takes 10 to 20 years for the compost to release all of it's nutrients. In other words you really don't have to have as much of a "what when" mindset. The compost is generally insoluble which means, excluding erosion, it will sit there until it is released.

If you have time and can apply it now, go for it. It will only help (assuming the EC isn't too high). Note: we don't get rainstorms like you do.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I did not know that spreading compost on the surface would provide any benefit whatsoever. I always thought it needed to be incorporated into the soil profile to do any good. Am I missing something? Thanks.

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes you are. :)
    Probably the best thing you can do for a lawn is aerate, power seed and top dress with good compost. Adding organic matter helps in so many ways.