When to start advertising and applying

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jondcoleman, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

I am wondering if there is anyone in the MD, DC, VA area that would tell me when you plan on starting to advertise for your lawn care programs and when you plan on starting Round 1. As of now, I am planning on starting to advertise the first or second week in March and start applying around the 15th. Thanks!

2. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We are thinking just like you.

3. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

Yeah, similar time frame here. For a while with the warm weather I was getting excited, but the last few days have reminded me it's still mid Feb.

I'll probably start more serious advertising around March 1, then watch the weather close and start app's as soon as possible in March.

4. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I mainly cut and mulch but If you want to get the jobs I would think you better get out now and so you can get the crabgrass pre-emergent in march

5. QLC- Rick

good point RGM, I'm mainly waiting because the guy designing my new logo is dragging his feet and I plan on using it on my door hangers and fliers. Otherwise I'd be putting them out as soon as this current freezing rain/cold snap clears out.

Another thing, for me personally. My advert. budget is limited, so I have to try to time it late enough that people are thinking about lawn care but still get the 1st app's in in March, and beat the competition to the punch. This is also my first year with a serious app. program, so I'm still getting my S together as far as that goes and figuring out the advertising for it.

6. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Anyone know when Trugreen starts knocking on doors?

7. QLC- Rick

I wasn't aware they ever stopped.

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Tru-Green is signing contracts left and right here already. I was kinda po'd... nice account, looking for maintenance(I'm an LCO) and he's already signed with TG. I'll probably bite the bullet, and do the maintenance only... then either he goes with me next year for full apps or it's bye-bye.

I think I might be able to swipe a few apps that aren't in TG's standard program. That's one way doing IPM and being on the property weekly gives me an advantage. I will spot a problem long before they would.

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

If you are there mowing etc. it should be easy to get them booted, when i used to do a high concentration of mowing, before i got licensed, and before i dabled in it illegally, i would get them off my lawns fast, i would point out all the things they didnt do, and my customers trusted me and saw me more. Dont get discouraged you will get them next year:weightlifter:

10. mowtivations lawncare

mowtivations lawncare LawnSite Member

tru greens called me everyday for the past 2 or 3 months and i never answer the phone, they were out canvassing the neighborhood 2 weeks ago here in indy