1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to start advertising for '08

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ravenwood Landscaping, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm looking to get into some new neighborhoods but I'm not sure when the most effective time to advertise for '08 would be?

I've been thinking about advertising some sort of discount on fall clean-ups if the customer signs up for '08 mowing or '08 spring clean-up. This way I can get some revenue now but also get my foot in the door for next year. I'm afraid right now might be to early even for fall clean-ups. Any ideas from those near me?

Plus, I'm also looking to get into neighborhoods where other companies are and I'm looking for a way to peak interest enough without lowballing myself.
  2. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

This is a question I have too.
  3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

my gusse start in jan - feb so you get your name out there
  4. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

There is never a bad time to get out and get your name out there. Now is a good time. I was just at two commercial sites today that are looking for next season because they are not happy with their current provider. The key is to not go out now and then stop. You have to be repetitive. I was an outside sales rep for a tech co. and this is no different. You never know, you might find business for the rest of the season.
  5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Advertising never stops....If you plan on being successful, you must advertise 365 days a year. I was passing out flyers today once we were done in a neighborhood that I dont have any accounts.
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Start advertising when you are ready to service your target market. Spending money beforehand is a waste.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

What he said.....

sorry echeandia" this is simply NOT true, and besides it's tax ductable
  8. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. We always advertise at new places we haven't been. We're now starting to go back to specifically targeted neighborhoods. I just wasn't sure if anyone has had better success with fall cleanups in August, September, or any time. Thanks again. I'm hitting the path hard this weekend since we finally have some off from working.

p.s. I picked up 5 new landscaping (2 over $1K) jobs just today!
  9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I have had more success with people tired of the half ass job their current LCO is doing. Plus, a lot of LCO have gotten out of the business for different reasons around this time of year so accounts are just left hanging. Came back from running a Mulch estimate, and sold three more people on her street a Mulch job as well, with half up front already for tomorrow. The key I think was having 5 yds of Rudy Red Mulch on the Trailer that was going to my house for a renovation project I am trying to have done by my Daughters Bday on 8/19.....But I will say, I do sometime specifically market certain programs, i.e. clean-ups, Mulch, Flowers, etc.....Today I had my Landscape install flyers passing them out, thats how I was able to land the other two jobs. I Knocked on like 25 doors while I was out, so not to bad since I only talked with about 11 people, and only about 5 decision makers... Oh, and by the way, they all wanted the same color.....How great is that....18 yds of Red Mulch....
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

REmember that advertising is TAX deductable. so If you and a helper go and pass out flyers, keep track of your time, and all of the expances