1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

When to start advertising for the season?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by S&S Outdoor Services, Dec 22, 2009.

1. S&S Outdoor Services

S&S Outdoor Services LawnSite Member

Hello everybody,

I started my Landscaping business last summer after not getting my old landscape job back (downsizing). We put some craig's list ad's out and got some accounts here and there which added up to about a day's worth of mowing per week for two guys. This summer we really want to hit it hard and have two guys that can go out and mow 4-5 days a week. My question is, when do you guys start advertising for that and what has been then most cost effective way to get your name out there? I still have around 750 flyers and 1500 door hangers left from this summer but anything else we do will have to be cheap. Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. S&S Outdoor Services

Another question right away... we want about half residential, half commercial stuff. Do any forms of advertising work better for one than the other?? Thanks

3. buffalonick

buffalonick LawnSite Member

I am also new to the business, we will be a brand new company starting this upcoming season. I plan on starting to hand out door hangers in mid feb. hopefully with my huge tax return!!!! But we will do about 5000 or so color, front only, glossy paper. I see alot of guys hate to see ads on craigslist, and think its bad, but in my opinion any advertising is good advertising. I also plan to put an ad in the local town newspapers for spring clean up and mowing in early march to early april.

4. S&S Outdoor Services

We got about 50% of our business off craig's list this last summer. There is a lot of BS that goes along with it though, spam mail up the *** and phone calls from people 2 hours away from you. You will get some business though, I have a few different very professional looking ads on craig's list that make me look a lot better than joe shmoe cutting lawns with his 21" for 10 bucks. Peope also don't expect much from craig's list, so if you actually answer the phone, show up to meetings on time etc. etc. they will be pretty impressed and hopefully spread your name around. I have also found it works great for snow plowing if you post 3 or 4 ads up right before a big storm. Someone's snowed in or their snow blower broke etc.etc.

Keep in touch with me Buffalonick, we'll see if we can't bounce some ideas off each other being that we're both still in the early stages of an established business.

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Feb 1 is when we start.

We are on the Gulf coast, so we have an early spring, and a loooooooooooog hoooooooooooot summer.

6. S&S Outdoor Services

Since we are in such different areas, can you give me an idea of how long before the season you start to advertise. We start mowing lawns near the end of April at the earliest. I was thinking 2 months is advance which would be more towards the end of February. I just don't want to put my expensive door hangers out before people are even thinking about it and have them all end up in the garbage.

7. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Our season begins in med to late Feb.,

If our season began in late April like your does, I would start putting door hangers out April 1. Maybe late March depending on the weather. It you have a few sunny warm days people will start to think about their lawn and landscape.

I definately agree with not putting them out too early.

Where are you getting your hangers from, and how many?

I sure am glad I live in the south. I HATE winter and ours is short.

Good luck to you.

8. S&S Outdoor Services

My dad's old friend owns a printing shop up here so we get a pretty good deal and do some trading. I've about 750 flyers and 2000 door hangers to put out. I'm thinking as soon as the snow starts to melt is when I'll start walking the nieghborhoods.

I was born and raised here so the winters really aren't that bad. You just have to have a hobby for the snow (snowmobiling, skiiing etc.) then it can be fun. Now that I've got a plow I pray for snow. I will say that the girls on South Padre island are a lot more fun than the girls around here haha.

9. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I spent one winter in upstate NY about 20 years ago. That was one winter too many for me.

We have a COLD front on the way, it will be in the 50's for highs this weekend. :laugh: I'm going fishing.

10. S&S Outdoor Services

Just got 8" of snow overnight... same is expected for tomorrow. We do have one thing in common... fishing. I have to drill a hole in the ice first though.