When to start advertising?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lamblawnscaping, Jan 28, 2002.

1. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

It seems like winter has skipped us. I was driving around evaluating neighborhoods today and saw 2 lawns freshly cut. I have 5,000 door hangars to distribute and with the weather the way it has been, I'm thinking I better get started. Just wondering if any of you in the mid-atlantic have started getting your name out there already for next season.

2. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I was out cutting today. In St. Louis it was in the 60s. I was cutting a church which I just got the contract for. They did not have their last fall cleanup so there were lots of leaves and some pretty tall grass. Tomorrow comes a cold front with freezing rain, go figure.

There was one other company passing out flyers. We usually dont get started until march, when we start cleaning up the yards up again. I called them just to find out their pricing because they advertised that "WE ARE LESS EXPENSIVE THAN ANY OTHER LAWN SERVICE IN TOWN" maybe I will have to educate them about LS.

As soon as I get around to printing up a new design I will target a few areas that I want more yards in.

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

actually was looking at some old fliers today. IF this keeps up may put out ads a month early...

but they're saying below zero mid week, mild on friday and snow on superbowl sunday. :rolleyes:

4. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Last year we started passing out fliers in mid Febuary we got not one response.This year we'll start in the beginning of march.Hope this helps Harvestman

5. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

If you target commercial work do it now. The earlier the better with commercial work get em signed up soon!

6. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Its snowing here in Washington, I dont think people are going to be thinking about lawn service until mid feb- march thats when Ill start doing flyers.

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We have started already down here in Texas. About 3,000 flyers have been put out and 2,000 flyers and from 5,000 to 10,000 door hangers to go.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Never hurts to start YESTERDAY getting your name out. The more people see it the better off you will be in the long run.