1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to start advertising????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 14yearoldcutter, Feb 24, 2002.

1. 14yearoldcutter

14yearoldcutter LawnSite Member

Hey this will be my secound year in BIZ... I need to begin advertising earlier than June like last year.. When should I pass out fliers offerin my services?? And when should I get in touch with my customers from last year? One more question, I know this is the most asked question ever, but, when should I go out and buy my 36' walk behind, should I wait till I get customers or just go out and get it, and howmuch you think it"ll cost?

Please Help me.. Thanks Alot:blob4:
  2. 14yearoldcutter

By the way I figure the first cut wil be around April or mabe May.. Im on the mid eastcoast(Virginia)
  3. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

start putting fliers out asap if your going to do cleanups .call all your customers let them them know spring is around the corner and your still alive .i would start advertiseing
  4. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

had an add in the paper for 4 weeks now and have picked up two money makin jobs already. its never too early to advertise. if people keep on seeing ur add in the paper than they might just give u a call
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We've been busy off and on since late January. But around here, as soon as March 1st hits, we are off an running usually. It's like a light goes on in everyone's heads and everyone starts calling us. By the end of March we're usually booked out 2-4 weeks for clean-ups, mulching, and installations.

So we always do our marketing campaign right around this time, just before March 1st.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've been doing estimates and scheduling work since mid Jan. I have seeding, and aeration jobs already schedule from March into May. Point is, start yesterday. (even for a 14yr old).

For those that will see this, seeding fescue in March only.
  7. 14yearoldcutter

Thanks Guys, I have tons of fliers and Im goin to pass them out tomorow... Aboutthe spring cleanup thing, is it posssible for me to do it? I dont have a truck but I could possible get my bro to team up with me(just for this) and split it 50/50,he has a truck... What kinda stuff do you include in a cleanup

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Needing a truck depends on your location. Its not always necessary to haul. If you can let the local trash system get it you can eliminate the truck. Just a thought.