When To Start Advertising

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danslawncare, Feb 21, 2005.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

I just picked up my new JD 647 Zero Turn Quick Track. I need many more yards now. When do I start to spread flyers in Northern Illinois? Now, or wait until the temp hits 40-50 degrees. Also, do you hit areas more then once?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I started last week, and plan to hit the same houses in a two week rotation until I run out of flyers.

3. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

We put ads in the local "Monthly Shopper" mags in Feb. Will start with our Door hangers soon.

Mike

4. RLS2005

RLS2005 LawnSite Member

cleancutccl : I started last week, and plan to hit the same houses in a two week rotation until I run out of flyers.

hey cleancutccl, I was wondering, since you hit the same houses more than once, ever get anyone calling to complain and asking you stop? Also how big of an area (approximate # of houses) are you targeting when you send out your fliers and what are your expectations of returns on it?

RON

5. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I want to get started this weekend and like said before, hit over and over until I run out of flyers

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Im gonna start as soon as the freakin snow melts

7. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

RLS

never had anyone call to tell me to stop. I'm passing them out all by hand to only the areas that I want to do work in, so I'm passing out around 500-600 a week. I had 3000 flyers printed up so they should be gone about the middle of march, right when we turn on the mowers. Hopefully I will have a call rate of around 2-3% since I'm targeting the homes myself, possibly a contract rate of 1/2-1%. Also I'm targeting homes in the same areas that I already have work, so that should help also when it comes time to close the deal.

8. danslawncare

we don't start mowing until mid-april....should I wait until mid march then? I saw one company passing out flyers a week ago, so I passed out 300....no website hits or calls. I think i'm too early. I just don't want to get behind everyone else, especially with my new equipment purchase.

9. danslawncare

is there such a thing as too late for advertising?

10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was gonna start this weekend but we just got about 7 inches of snow and the forecast seems pretty cold for a while.I may wait another week or so and see how it pans out..Its never really too late to advertise but with snow on the ground i think the flyers end up right in the garbage.