When to start advertising?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Mar 3, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

when is a good time to start advertising? Here in NW Pa we just had over 12" of snow in the past day and a half. We've been plowing since Monday night straight through today. But some of these threads are talking about people advertising for months now, even with snow on the ground.
  2. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Nobagger, the plan is to get the fliers out early while your slow. Plowing not withstanding, this is down time. Put out your fliers now. People who will be interested will hold on to them and call in a few weeks. The weather will break in about 4 weeks here. In two weeks I plan to be mulching and doing clean ups. No time to flier then. Asvertise in the paper after April 1 but get fliers out to target neighborhoods early. Fliers only generate 3-4 calls per hundred and only 1 or 2 customers per hundred. So do them early and do alot.
  3. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I advertise in the local paper for snow service usually through mid-March. Then it switches over to spring cleanup and mowing after that. But the name of the business appears in the ad so its a plus, people see lawn mowing all the time. I have a 4-line ad and it costs me $28.80 a month. Running cycle 12th of each month to the 11th of the next month and then it is renewed again over and over. Works out pretty well in this sense because my years usually starts mid-April for mowing and ends mid-October.
  4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Start your ad campaign a couple of weeks before your mowing season starts and don't stop.