When to start and stop mowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brrrandon, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Brrrandon

Brrrandon LawnSite Member

I'm new here and new to the business - at least by myself. A few years ago I worked for a guy who'd mow about 40 lawns per day.

Anyway, my question is in which month do you generally start mowing for people and in what month do you generally mow their lawn for the last time?

Also, I was curious when you should mulch?

Thanks for your responses

Sincerely;
    -Brandon

2. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I don't think there is a good or bad month to start mowing. Get them while you can and set up a billing cycle for them. I mulch all my yards down here but it could be different over there. When it's the cold season I only mow every couple of weeks and during the hot season every week. The grass grow's all the time so it needs to be cut all the time. There's never a end to cutting grass, just a slower times.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

no offense, but are you asking when to start the business or when does the grass need to start to be maintained.

Grass cutting should commence one - three weeks after growth starts depending on type of grass.

Grass cutting should cease when the grass goes dormant.

I know nothing about Utah. Type of grass or # of cuts. Have you lived there long? Had your own lawn to maintain?

Best suggestion, use the search feature or get some information from your ag department.