When to start doing leaf removal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Sep 23, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I get the impression that people are already doing leaf removal jobs which surprises me some because the leaves are just beginning to turn colors and it will be quite awhile (at least a few months in S.C.)before they are totally off the trees.
    The question I have is this:are there alot of customers who like to have their yards maintained on a regular basis during the fall or do most want to wait until the leaves have quit falling before paying someone to clean them up?For example,if you were to try and do a leaf cleanup around here during Oct. or Nov.,especially on a windy day,the ground would have a fair number of leaves covering it before you even got finished?

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Leaves are still green and on the trees around here. Most people I work for want me to wait until the leaves are significantly down to start doing cleanups. Usually the grass stops growing in mid-October, about the time the leaves start to come down good. If not, and I need to mow a covered yard, I blow it off first and charge.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just starting doing some bagging of leaves on a very few yards last week. Nothing major though. I look at us to start major fall clean up in about 2 weeks

4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

leaves are still green here too.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

most of the trees are green here in ct too.

probably the grass will need to be cut maybe 3 more weeks.

then leaves will really start to fall, cleanups start in mid oct. most people would rather you wait for them all to be down and do 1 big cleanup rather than 4 little ones.

wether thats a good thing or bad........?

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am worried that we will have an early fall this year compared to last year

7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

LandscapeEscape88

mowing just 3 more weeks?? wow your losing a ton of money.i cut until the first or second week in november.i start fall clean ups the last week of october and keep on doing them until it snows

8. Wmharold

Wmharold LawnSite Member

Walker collection deck will take off the leaves when you do your weekly mowing. If on a larger area I use 54" deck and just chew up the leaves, I have one Job of 5 acres and this helps.

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, You must run into some wet leaves... any tricks for effeciently cleaning them up when they are heavy and matted?

10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Every customer is different. Some we wait until the end of the year, others are maybe 2 pickups (this is most of my customers), and still others are almost weekly. The customers that we pickup almost weekly at we wait to cleanout the beds until the end of the season.