When to start fall app's?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meets1, Aug 29, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have tried timing the fall app's but every year I seem to be ahead of the other LCO's or I ma behind and finding myself raking/blowing leafs away or off of properties. I am in IOWA so timing may be different for me than you but do any of you guys use a date such at 2nd week of Sept or try to watch what the fall weather brings?

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in south east Iowa. We are beginning some end of this week (taking care of a few out of the way places). I will take delivery of my fall product order the 1st and focus on the main concentration of my market over the next three weeks.

3. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Already started. But the unwritten rule around here is mid of sept. We do some liquid fert/weed control combo so we back off the fert a little till the middle of sept.Good time to sell some seeding as you make your rounds .I dont mind working late and weekends ,that way more clients are home and you can point out thier problems and lack of cultural practices.Damn nut sedge is popping up everywhere.

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

The nut sedge is here to! I think I'll be going mid week. Never know when you get a rainy spell that puts ya back a couple of days. Thanks for the input though. Do you guys run with broadleaf control and fert? What rates do you try to sell people this time of year? I have tried different methods, different rates, different products over the years to try to curb our success and what works best for our situation here. Always willing to learn and try new but sometimes that can get ugly with a new product or something I am not attained to.

5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Summer is not even over for another 21 days! I start fall apps on 10-1.

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

same here. I'm on my late summer/early fall app right now.

7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Summer is over. I started my fall weed and feeds Thursday. Will be doing them into November. I have too many to do to wait.

8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your calendar, sir. We are in a field that uses science and precision. We do not go by the school calendar. Spring ends on 6-21 and summer ends on 9-21. Those are the facts. Now when or how you do which particular application is up to you.

9. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to explain that to a customer who thinks summer is over the day after Labor day.