1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to start marketing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CharlotteOutdoorImpact, Aug 29, 2007.

1. CharlotteOutdoorImpact

CharlotteOutdoorImpact LawnSite Senior Member

I started this year and I am fortunate for getting the 8 clients that I have (from word of mouth) I haven't really done much marketing...We are in a major drought. All grass without irrigation is brown and not growing. So my questions are: When does everyone start going door to door and putting flyers out. It seems to me that the early spring is best. I may do some aeration this year so maybe I can get some clients for next year by meeting them during that service. Anyone have any good tips on when to start? I know some may say now... I thought of that but really no one mowing much now. until we start getting rain....

Thanks, this forum has been great!! Its probably saved me years of learning on my own threw trial and error...

Charlotte Nc
    Charlotte Outdoor Impact
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I never stop my ads in the newspaper.

as for door to door I have never done it, but several people do and have good luck with it,

you may want to expand your service into other things, so you can work in drouts and winter and such, and if you do you can advertise all yesr round.

My self, I like to JUST MOW, so I really hit the ads hard around March.
    " I go with bigger ads"

you can also try to sell the 8 customers you already have, something else,
    Like tree work and such,,,

Good luck
  3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to LS.Com. Try a search using the seach feature on this site. I've seen these types of questions a few times. If you decide you want to place ads in the classified newspaper, its always a good time to run them. If you don't want to run year round, try about late Feb/early March. Also try the yellow pages to place an ad in. For flyers, things of that nature, about the same time as well. You will need a LOT of flyers to obtain a good solid customer base, which is time consuming to pass out, so be sure to plan enough time for doing so. I personally don't mess with flyers, too time consuming and not a good enough of a return in the past to justify it. Since you are in a drought, and no mowing for the time being, have you thought about doing fall cleanups? There is good money to be made doing this, provided you have all the right equipment.:clapping:
  4. CharlotteOutdoorImpact

Since you are in a drought, and no mowing for the time being, have you thought about doing fall cleanups? There is good money to be made doing this, provided you have all the right equipment.

What type of equipment are you talking about... :confused: And what are the services involved? Just leaf removal?

Thanks for your time.. And I do use the search feature, just sometimes your situation is different than the others...:waving:
  5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm getting as much work this year from last year's flyers, as I was last year. Just a bit more time in-between. But the residual keeps on coming. One of the best jobs this month was someone keeping a flyer from last year.

It was a B&W with a clipart.

I just proofread a flyer , for 5000 color gloss copies, a link to the flyer file download will be at the top of this page ...

Flyer Download Link Is Near Page Top

The final version they compiled is almost identical, but with a little border color on images, and they made my name burgundy.

Also, I changed the text box at bottom slightly so that its a bit more services related than just website related.

Anyway, people are going to hang on to more than we might expect.

My temp worker had an extra hour to go yesterday, so I gave him a couple of bucks gas money, found a neighborhood on his route home, and gave him a stack of flyers to finish the workshift.
  6. All_Toro_4ME

Backpack blower, Z with bagger or walk behinds with baggers, trash cans, plastic bags for yard debris, chain saw, and hedgers. For the most part, fall cleanups usually consist of leaf removal, which you can generally charge the same price as what you would charge for mowing their yard, but there are occasions when the customer will ask you to do some hedge trimming, light tree trimming, gutter cleaning (removing leaves from gutters on the house) or other various tasks. Hope this helps. You could also mention it in your advertising should you decide to offer those additional services. You could also use a spreader if you decided to apply fert on their lawn, and that would be an additional fee as well.
  7. CharlotteOutdoorImpact

Thanks... I have A good back pack blower, a great dane super surfer, just no bagger.. My quick 36 has a bagger.. just wouldnt do it as fast.. I am looking for a good spreader and a aerator. What do I look for in a spreader and a core/plug aerator. Do you charge for each time you remove leafs?? Is that in addition to mowing.. do you charge once for mowing and once more for leaf clean up?

I probably should make up some flyers to promote aeration and over-seeding..

Anyone have any suggestions on what to include on the flyer..

8. All_Toro_4ME

Just look for a good commercial quality spreader, possibly with pneumatic tires, nothing you would find at Wal-Mart, thats all residential and won't hold up. Here's a link to view some commercial spreaders http://www.allaboutlawns.com/store/commercial-spreaders.php

And yes, each leaf removal is a separate charge. I always tell the customers I will not be collecting 100% of the leaves, but will get most of them. You may mention this as well, as usually right after you have finished, new leaves fall from the trees, blow in from neighbors yard, etc., re-covering the ground, otherwise you will be out there longer then expected. Generally, when fall cleanups begin, at least in my area, mowing has expired for that season. If they for some reason want it mowed, just mow as normal and mulch or bag the leaves as you're mowing. Should be about the same time spent on the yard.