1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to start mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PORTER 05, Feb 25, 2007.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

when do you guys in the north east usually start mowing grass, early may?????...when did you start last season???
  2. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Start mowing in jersey the first week in April usually.
  3. sweetlou

sweetlou LawnSite Member

start cleanups 2 or 3 week of march by the time all cleanups are done,time to start weekly maintnance
  4. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

When the grass starts to grow. :laugh:

Just figured I would say it before some one else did. But seriously, we also start cleanups last week or 2 of march, and 1st week or 2 of April. Normally start weekly cuts by 2nd week of April.
  5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Where in Northern, NJ are you that you can start MOWING the first week of April?;)

Last year I started cleanups around the second or third week in March, and started mowing the last week of April...probably could have even waited until the first week of May, but some lawns were starting to get some heavier growth. I figure I'll start about the same timing this season, but it'll depend on the weather.
  6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

The last 4 years the average start of cutting was 4/16.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

2nd week of April usually, but not everyone all at once
  8. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

Spring cleanups ,the second week of march weather pending. Regular mowing always by April 15th Ny and Pa.

hand mower.gif

hand mower.gif
  9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

With this weather we might be able to start mowing in March.....
  10. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I started mid April last year but this year I am starting the week of April 8th. I have a lot of fertilizer junkies so the lawns thicken up fast.