When to start mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gtotoy, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

Im in the New Jersey area and was wondering when you guys start the blades? I have a new cust. this season and wants me ther March 1st , I think a little early?

2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

For cutting, yup way too early. Starting a cleanup could be done though. We start around the last week of mar. 1st week of april

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We try not to start cutting befor the 3rd to last week in march. There is still a high probability for frosts and the ground is usually to wet or soggy for commercial equipment.

If we can start mowing we usually start with the postage stamps that can be cut using our 21" sensations(orange-bobcat).

Kris

4. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

Sounds too early to me I live in Rochester N.Y. and start around the first week of april. March 1st might cause some unsightly ruts. Not worth it, I would tell him to wait rather than make a mess of the lawn. After the rains we had last year I cut some wet lawns. They looked better before I got there I learned my lesson.

Good luck with this guy.

5. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I would say cut when the grass starts to grow. LOL. Clean up early is a good idea. Gives the grass a chance to grow unhindered by the winter accumulation of junk. Then wait for the grass to start growning. Don't mean to sound like a smart aleck.

6. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

thanz guys

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If its not to wet then go ahead and cut. Why not start collecting money from them. Easy money if nothing to cut.

:)

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Well, we'd like to start cutting now. Of course that is never gonna happen. So we'll settle for the last week of March, first part of April.
    We start our clean-ups in early March though.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Im pushing early mows.After winter cut will make it look
    a lot better.Plus it gives you a meet face to face
    time to discuss how we are going to make there yd
    look so good, with other services you offer.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

whats the sense of getting out early on a wet lawn that isnt growing.They be plenty of times in the spring to put ruts in the lawn,why rush and make them sooner.