When to start prevent apps, brown patch

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArTurf, Sep 17, 2013.

1. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

As pretty good home baker of pizza crusts, breads, cakes, etc. I would say corn meal is gluten-free. Yeast breads will not rise if all or most of the dough is made with cornmeal. Cornmeal mixed with wheat flour may provide an interesting flavor, texture, and crumb but it is better suited for quick breads (uses leavening other other than yeast).

Ha! Initially I misunderstood your question. I thought you had asked if the corn meal was free!

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Sign me up on Corn meal deal
    Smallaxe I want to hear more treating Brown patch

You cook it in a pot and then spray it or you drink it

3. CTPTURF

CTPTURF LawnSite Member

The last two seasons, we have incorporated liquid phosphite (0-0-26) into our spray program on the recommendation of our dealer to deal with Brown Patch in St Augustine turf. Last year was a very wet summer season and then by October, the temps dropped but the ground was still saturated. It did not totally control the Brown Patch , but we had a lot less service calls than previous years.

Along with the fungicidal properties of the phosphite, you also benefit from the nutritional aspect of the product.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Another kiril... just like compost makes sense to people who understand SOM, CEC, Structure, percolation and water retention of soil,,, the concept of corn meal makes sense as well...

it is when the mystery of "Fungal Disease" becomes mythologized and people believe in antiseptics which kills the fungi,,, that mock any understanding of microbial health of dirt... the idea of a balanced healthy soil is just foolish,,, RIGHT??? :)

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Not mocking I want to hear more about your corn meal
    What kind of results you had with corn meal???

Never to young to learn something new

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I only deal with a minimal amount of St. Augustine but I have had a few customers who have installed some high dollar zoysia lawns with sod brought in from out of state sod farms growing exotic varieties. I've been told that the sod farms recommend a preventative treatment of fungicide in late March and Late September.
    I personally call BS on that. Most fungicides offer about a 21 day window of "protection".

WTF? Am I just supposed to hope that conditions will favor the development of Brown Patch during the 21 day period after I have applied the preventative, their lawn will be protected and there should be no problem after that? Sorry I don't operate that way.

I do my best to "manage" disease issues by educating the customer on proper cultural practices and stressing that they and I are a "team" when it comes to their lawn. They've got to do their best to follow my instructions and at the same time, let me know when something doesn't look right between our scheduled visits.
    Foreplease is correct. We have no control over temperature and humidity and sometimes fungicides are necessary...but...I apply fungicides only when necessary...PERIOD

It's better for the environment, It saves me time and it saves the customer money.

As a result of this strategy, my expenditures on fungicides are minimal.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Technically, zoysia lawns are supposed to be a hot bed of disease here in Hawaii. It is always humid here and warm at night. However, that has not been the case . The only disease issue I see is dollar spot on the wide bladed Japonica cultivars. That one is my fault. When that happens it is because the lawn is not getting enough N, K and micronutrients during a wet period. Otherwise, no disease issues that are intractable. Lawns that are full of thatch and not maintained at less than 1" rot from the roots up if it is particularly humid or if the customer waters more often than twice a week. I read with great interest of all of the disease problems of zoysia when used in lawns in the Continental US. I am not a Nazi about how a lawn is mowed, watered, or fertilized for nothing. The issue is how to manage diseases and weeds without constant preventative applications of pesticides. It is not about letting people do what they want just because they are paying customers and then spraying the problems away, following everything on the label. That approach is not sustainable. I use the word sustainable carefully. That word, along with the phrase IPM has been misused to mean 100% non chemical. I am talking about using fertilizers/pesticides intelligently and effectively. I expect brown patch and pythium to be rampant if the lawns are kept at over an inch in warm, wet, environments. Then again, In an area where it can rain more in one month, than it does in one year here, I do not want to see zoysia kept thick and shaggy. I would want it mowed low and well fertilized. Reason why is that in low mowed zoysia, dollar spot can become a problem, but mowing it high just to avoid having to fertilize leads to more brown patch.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I
    Pay
    Materials

Ric says that one all the time. I agree with that statement. More so than the interpretation that it is a pesticide and fertilizer ban. There might not be as much brown patch if zoyisa were not kept thick and tall. I remember the conversation I had with one customer who was glad he declined replacing his 1/2 acre of bermuda with zoysia. I told him that putting down zoysia sod would mean that his $1,500 gang reel mower would have to be replaced by a hydraulic drive fairway or greens mower. Replacing a lawn with zoysia is not a big deal on 5,000 sq ft lots. A homeowner grade walk behind reel will handle it. On a big lawn, the mower can cost more than the sod and that says something, given the price of sod here.

9. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

That has not been the case for you because the supposed info was from someone who didn't know what he was talking about. IT maybe a surprise that there are more then a few folks in this industry who fit that description. Zoysiagrass doesn't have many disease pests in warm weather. Its main concerns in the mainland US are in cool weather, NOT warm weather. Even when you go to Asia, you don't see warm weather problems -- only cool weather problems.

The problem is that any time something goes off color, everyone swears "it got a fungus." You could count important lawn diseases (for the top 12 turf species) on one hand. You wouldn't even need all your fingers to count the number that may require chemical treatment. But, guys on this board think they need to apply fungicides like its going out of style.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

For those of you who maintain a lot of St Aug and your conditions favor Brown Patch at certain times of the year (spring & fall in my area) what is your approach to preventing it and treating it. Wait until you start seeing it? (then your a little behind, right?) Of course following proper practices-excessive water, N at wrong time & etc. But if it tends to rear its head despite this what is your approach? I have many lawns with a lot of trees and at times of the year the grass will stay wet with dew or irrigation well into the day, 10 hrs+