When to start with flyers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Feb 22, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I am in southeastern mass, its about 30 degrees and about 3 inches of snow still on the ground. I usually start passing out flyers in the middle of march. I would like to get a head start but with all this snow and cold still here, i dont want to waste my time. Should I start with the advertising blitz a little earlier for new customers?

2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Its never a waste of time. You just have to hit the "popular" side (hi end res.) of the market. I'll be passing them out in that area in 1 week providing no snow. The DIY section of town might get done in late march.

3. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

By all means...start getting those flyers out. I started putting out flyers the last couple of weeks. I am getting calls for bids already. I am also getting calls from people that got my flyers from last year. Some people hold onto them.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would give you my vote for this as well.

I usually start passing them out if we are going to do so the third week of February. We have trudged thru snow/sleet/freezing rain to get our name out there. We didnt start out under these conditions but once we're in an area I like to get them out no matter what - once we have begun. People tend to appreciate you more sometimes as well. SOMETIMES.

I would also plan on hitting the areas you want to target more than once. Say go back in 2/3 weeks and hit them again. This way when most guys are just starting to get their names out there, you'll be a repeat offender. then go back again in 2/3 weeks.

Many customers we receive are because guys get so swamped in the spring with the inclement weather, that they cannot keep up - so we take on the work. The other thing that usually happens is that customers will often be willing to pay more if you can guarantee that you will get them done in a timely fashion. I tell them that we can handle the management of their property but we may be a little more expensive than the competition. Afterall, what they are really paying for is competency.

Good Luck.
    Kris

5. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I plan to start handing out flyers next week. The earlier the better I think. I am also going to send a letter on march 1st to my current customers to let them know when I will begin mowing and see If they are interested in a clean-up or some mulch before the mowing starts. Once march hits I think I will be pretty busy.