1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When To Start?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeSide Lawn and Landscape, Jan 22, 2003.

1. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Im in north carolina and was wondering when is the best time to start passing out flyers for mowing?If i get them out too early they will forget aboput you,but too late and they will already have someone else.What do you guys do to judge??
  2. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

If you can still see the grass then start tommorrow. Offer them a discsount if they sign a contract with you during the winter. That's what I do. If a customer signs a contract for the 03 season before Feb. 1 they get 10% off their quoted price.
    I have a spot in my contract where it states that if they cancell the service before the end of the season they owe me that 10%. Although I have never had anyone cancell mid season.
    You can never start marketing to early. Good Luck
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think I personally will start about 4-5 weeks before the first mowing and hit them once every week for about 2 weeks after the first mowing. This is my campaign.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Are you kidding.....

I was submitting bids in December 2002 for the '03 season!!! :blob4:
    Thats for commercial work. Lots of businesses set an annual budget in December or January. Of course, if you want to be a part of that budget, you gotta get that bid in there at the right time!

Fly by night services wait until the grass is growing to start asking for work. People who have been managing a business a long time know this and have a contract signed before they ever get there...
  5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I going to try to get them out inthe beginning of march.