1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to stop advertising??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CleanCutMowers, Jun 29, 2007.

1. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

When do you all usually stop running your ad in the newspaper or whatever. My contract ended today. So should i extend it or not?
  2. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Do you want/need more work or not? If yes, keep plugging your company. we advertise almost all year
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I never really stop advertising. I may slack off a little bit and then it againg hard. Take for instance; Before the season started I advertised heavily for a while, then slacked off until it starting getting fairly hot (now) and I am starting to heavily advertise again.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do run heavier and lighter as far as the budget goes, but stop no, never, I've always got my name out some kind of way. I think of it as a billboard, you probably need 100,000 views before the name catches on, not quite, but sort of.
  5. GreenS14

GreenS14 LawnSite Member
    from Ca

Do you just wake up and feel like advertising? or do you guys have a calender? When is the best if you were only going to do 2-3 runs of advertising a year?
  6. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

if your going to do 2-3 runs, i drop 30,000 mailers 3 times a year.
  7. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

You keep up with the work from 30,000 mailers 3x per year using a 48" and 36"? Even at only a .3333 percent close rate that is still 300 accounts per year.

How much money does it average out to cost per postcard?
  8. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

ive been just advertising heavily in the spring(april/may), and then just the phone books for the remainder of summer.

im curious about this as well, especially experiences from people who are in areas that have a winter , and what the response rate is like comparing hot dry july to the spring.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

All year............

It's a writeoff.
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi CleanCut ....my Dex Web yellow page lady is from your home town. So is my most respected American Patriot (R.L.) We run the largest yelow page ad here, plus we run ads on four local TV stations for about 8 weeks (mid March thru early May). Nothing else.