when to stop mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clapper&Company, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

I was just wrounding when every one else stops mowing there accounts?

I'm hoping this will be our last week here in ohio, but i'm not sure maybe next week. what do the rest of you do?

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I go until the second week of november or when they stop growing. My accounts are still growing pretty good along with my own yard. I don't know when I'll be able to go mow them though, lovely rain.

3. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I am in NW Ohio and I'm beginning to wonder when Ill be able to quit. Its still growing good but raining all the time.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this week is thier last mow. after that, we are available for "fall service"= leaf cleanup.

5. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand, You guys want the grass to be done? I hope we have some freak event and the grass grows right threw march and into april. I've read that generaly it takes april to sept to cover overhead. RIGHT NOW IS ALL THE PROFIT! LET IT GROW!

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Generally and Actually are two different things :D I don't "wish" the cutting season to be done with but really in past experiences mid november is about it, some are done sooner, some later. So I highly doubt something strange will happen and allow us to continue until January, gotta go with the flow.

7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I think I can strectch some accounts out for another 2 weeks and then start my fall clean-ups. Then the plow goes on!

8. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I'm planning on mowing till the 11th but we'll see how the weather goes. The grass at most of my accounts is slowing down but has not stopped yet.

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I switch to biweekly visits as of Oct 1, visits included mowing, Leaf clean up, etc......and I charge accordingly..... I usually finish the first week of Dec.

Derek

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I stop in the 3rd week of October then its fall clean up time. I went through this last year with people wanting their lawns mowed in hopes of us clearing the leaves as well while bagging for the price of a normal mowing. I didn't even want to offer fall clean ups but if I don't then I'm sure the next company would gladly do it.