When to stop working?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by little green guy, Nov 6, 2000.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few paver and wall jobs to get done before the end of the year but i'm so bussy with leaves i don't have time to do them right know. I was just wondering when you guys think the lastest I can probly do pavers untill is, I figued till the fist big freeze when the ground is hard? I'm in New Jersey. Thanks

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

luckily i don't do the leaf thing, but I don't really think there is a set time to stop work for hardscaping. Really dependent on how the weather goes.

If the weather stays mild, I've seen some guys push through the entire winter doing walls/pavers. However, if the temp drops and ground freezes, then you are out of luck.

The scary thing is starting a job, then having snow. Can really put a damper on things.

My plan is to stop somewhere in Dec., and then not start till march. Weather in march is very risky, as you start a job, then get a late snow, and everything is sloppy wet/frozen for weeks.

Its not necessarily a matter of whether you can do the work (well, unless the ground freezes) but a matter of how much work you want to put into getting a job done in the winter, as they can drag on FOREVER sometimes.

steveair

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

A local landscaper has bought several large tents (party type with roll-down side panels) and kerosene salamander heaters and he plans to do walls and pavers year-round.

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Other methods that work are picking up supplies like base matertial, stone dust, etc. and keeping them in the truck indoors overnight so that they don't freeze up and can be used when the temp drops.

I've seen advertisements for 'heat pumps' that use 100's of feets of pipe with a hot water/antifreeze system pumping thruough them that you lay on the ground and use to defrost large areas of work sites, but can't imagine it being all that cost effective.

The worst, is when the water for the wet saw freezes as you work.

Overall, think the winter months are better spent servicing equip, getting the office straightened out, bidding work, and taking vacations! Dropping 70 lb wall blocks on cold fingers gets a little painful after awhile.

steve

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

<Dropping 70 lb wall blocks on cold fingers gets a little painful after awhile.>
    Ah its only painful a couple of hours after quitting time, when the body finally thaws out ;)

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, I should be done with leaves by thanksgiving (I hope, I hate leaves, they suck) So I think I'll try to get one or two more landscape jobs in to end out the season as long as it dosn't get to cold. Those other ideas like the tent and heat pump sound good, if you realy want to work all winter. I don't know about you guys but I need winters of, I am so burt by the end of the year, but then I am reguvinated over the winter and have a new found ambition by spring.