WHEN to use WHAT blade????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottm1, Mar 12, 2008.

1. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

This will be my first full season using my new Scag Turf Tiger since I bought it late last fall. I was wondering in what conditions you use the different blades? The blades that came on it I am assuming are the low lift or straight blades. I currently have the mulching blades on it with the chute blocker that I used to chop up the leaves last fall. I m getting ready for spring and need to know which blades to put on it for the spring grass? How many different blades are there, and when and what conditions should I switch to the other ones? Can an experienced lawn cutter fill me in on this?

2. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Anybody???????????When and what circumstances should I use the High Lift Blades?

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

On my Scags I use gator mulching blades in the fall and then for the first two or so mowings in the spring. Then as the grass starts growing really fast i switch to the standard medium lift blades. I found once it gets wet and the grass starts growing very fast the mulching blades dont work as well for me. I end up with a trail of cut grass and stringers. I never really use high lifts

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Gators in the spring and fall for sure. Gators can be used all year but when the grass is wet they don't work so well, the grass tends to clump. Otherwise you could use the standard blades for the normal growing season.

5. landscaperdan

landscaperdan LawnSite Member

Speaking of blades, can anyone tell me if 2 blades work better than 3? I am looking at a 2 blade Walker vs a 3 blade BOP Samurai. Tnanks Guys!

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

if you dont mind saying what did you pay for the mower?

7. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I felt I found a real bargin when I bought my mower. It was slightly used with 85 hours on it. The original owner bought 2 new 07 SCAG 61" 29 hp ZTR's last spring for him and his brother in a part time lawn service. During the season he got transfered with his job and moved. Since the Scag dealer where he bought the mower at was a personal friend, the dealer helped him sell the 2 used mowers for him. I bought one of the mowers from the owner at the dealer that sold it new for $8,500.00 with 85 hours on it. There was no sales tax since I actually bought it from the individual. The best price I could find on a new one was $10,300.00 plus tax for the 29 hp 61" Turf Tiger. I now have 10 times the mower I really need :cool2:

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I use Walker GHS blades, all season:). On the Dixon I run high lifts all the time, have found them to give me the best results bagging.

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

wow you got a nice deal there man!!

anyways, like was said earlier, we use gators for about 2 weeks in the spring, right when the grass just start to grow. then switch to high lifts during the wet part of spring and when the grass grows alot. then back to gators in the dry part of fall and leaf mulching.

10. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

The cut quality from 3 blades is VERY IMPRESSIVE ..IMHO...