When to water my lawn in sandy soil?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by turbosl2, Jul 8, 2012.

1. turbosl2

turbosl2 LawnSite Member

Haha, i hate tuna fish. I like tuna for fish entree but dont like tunafish.

I measured about 1/4 inch over 45mins. i will double check this because this was before i renozzled my entire system.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I pointed out several weaknesses in an irrigation system today, that explained each brown spot that occured during the heat event... all of them were design problems... you want to play games with your 'name 3' foolishness, then go for it, but I don't play that way...

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I see design problems all the time.

what was your point? There are hacks out there.... you are right.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Well there you go...that's just enough to piss the grass off!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. turbosl2

turbosl2 LawnSite Member

I have a tuna can out right now getting a measurement. I will report back in an hr or 2. Its good to hear about not worrying about the disease this time of year. I dont water in the spring very much.

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

There are many really, there are times to break the rules and times when it will bite you in the rear.

I have seen HO's unhappy about an install when the install is fine or better than average but they are being cheap, workered on it themselves and messed it up.

I have seen others that act happy but the system is a crap design. All they want is a repaired head and it needs a rework.

7. cgaengineer

Not sure how much of your 1/4" evaps, but I'm sure if it's hot and dry its a measurable amount so you would factor that in with Kiril's math.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Kiril's math is right on. Problem is it is not static. It changes hour by hour.

We can look at historical data and set up prorgams based on monthly data and hope the HO's change the program. We can program ET controllers.

The bottom line is many things can go wrong and often do. These are mechanical systems, designed to deliver water. There are issues with design, maintenance and operation.

HERE is the big issue. We all need to know how to work these systems correctly or big brother will decide, Turf bad.... cost water, make lawns illegal.

It is already happening. EPA water sense is working on reducing turf and setting standard on water use that will keep turf from being viable.

Hacks to remain un-named are likely to make that happen faster.

9. cgaengineer

I was saying for him to use Kiril's math...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Does wind play a factor in evaporation? does time on the surface before soaking in affect evaporation?? does humidity have an effect on evaporation??? how about sun/shade conditions??? hieght and thickness of grass/dirt/weeds...?
    You guys talk like you invented the internet and no one else has been aware of anything before you got on the forum... and now your math will save the planet...

I think there are people other than gov't approved plumbers that can do math too... when necessary... :)