1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

When to water my lawn in sandy soil?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by turbosl2, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

It is in the Formulas Small.

2. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

@OP: If you got sandy soils, your problems are over. It's darn near impossible to over-water sandy soil. I know that, because when I lived on Long Island, I over watered incessantly, and had perfect grass for 15 summers. Didn't need no fancy algebra to figure it, just a little common sense and some basic rules (twice a week in the morning, 1 inch, water more if it looks like it needs watering.) On sandy soil, the rule is when in doubt, water. All you need to worry about then is the water bill.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

There ya have it...nothing wrong with math, but simply watching the plant can tell you just about all you need.

I think Kiril lives in Cali which is a pretty constant temp year round...he probably lack freezing temps in winter and extreme temps in the summer...

Not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about because I'm sure he does...but I myself have been keeping nice lawns around here with 1" per week, tuna cans...rain gauges. I also use sand mixed with clay so my Bermuda is growing in adobe. ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. turbosl2

turbosl2 LawnSite Member

I got about a 1/4" on areas where i get good coverage and overlap, and i get about 1/8" where the nozzle doesnt cover very well. It seems to drop more water toward the end of the stream.

5. turbosl2

turbosl2 LawnSite Member

Well whats the thoughts then. Water at night and more than just every other day? I now water 45mins per zone, every other day. It comes out to be 6hrs a day. One day i do the front, the other the back.

My grass always looks like it needs water, i just dont know if i should water at night or not. And if so what time to start it and what time to end it.

6. cgaengineer

Ever thought about aeration and topdress with compost?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

It's sandy soil, I'd water twice a day. Once in the early AM and once around 3pm for 60min each time.

Problem solved.

That sand would just eat it up.

8. cgaengineer

Keep on adding compost...
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. turbosl2

turbosl2 LawnSite Member

Cant afford it. Its 2acres and its to much money and time.

If i start watering at 3PM that is in the middle of the hottest part of the day. I am in direct sun until about 7pm where it sets behind the tree line.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Then you just answered your own question.