When to water my lawn in sandy soil?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by turbosl2, Jul 8, 2012.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Sandy soil is the instance when compost topdressing is appropriate. I am thinking an inch per year until the grass starts making its own OM. I would imagine too, with sand that nutrients are not retained. Another reason to spoon feed rather than try to dump it all on twice a year.

2. turbosl2

turbosl2 LawnSite Member

75000 sq ft
    3" of topsoil
    =18750 cubit ft topsoil
    694.4 Cubic yards topsoil (27cubic feet per yard)
    $40 cubic yard deliverd = $27,776 for topsoil. Then add the labor and time to rake it in, thats alot of water around here.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Compost...not topsoil...huge difference.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. turbosl2

turbosl2 LawnSite Member

I used to bag the clippings up until a month ago. It seems that since i put mulcing blades on it is looking better.

The pictures are not as bad as they seem. Over the last 2.5 yrs every spring this lawn looks like a perfect golf course, it could be on the cover of a magizine, but hten as summer approachs it starts to look like this, and the cycle continues.

5. cgaengineer

All you are doing with continually watering is wasting money...like lawn life support...pull the water and lawn dies.

How about trying to work a smaller area rather than seeing the entire 2 ac mini farm monster as a headache. Small high quality. When I got my current house I removed about 1500 sq feet of lawn and created beds...wall to wall grass to me does not look as nice to me as a nicely landscaped property with beds, plants, flowers and shrubs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Bagging is bad but if you must then compost them. You clearly have the space.

The cost of composting the lawn is kind of like the maintenance cost of a Benz in my mind.
    if you need that much compost then bid it out, you can do better on volume.

stop bagging. it adds to your cost of maintenance.

You do not need 3" of top soil or compost... try .25 inches.

7. cgaengineer

58 cu yds for .25"
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cgaengineer

Topdress, not a renovation. Like Deukster said, .25". I'd try to shrink the lawn size down to a more managable size.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Topdress, stop bagging and spoon feed what the grass needs. There is no way for sand to hold on to a twice a year fertilization.

10. cgaengineer

I agree.
    Posted via Mobile Device