1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to Water?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mike84, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Mike84

Mike84 LawnSite Member

I'm new in the residential mowing business and
    I had a quick question. When some customers ask me whento water their lawns. What exactly do i tell them. I told them to water their lawn the same evening i cut the grass and 2-3 times a week. The temp here is around 18-23 degrees celcius right now and well get hotter. What do u guys think??
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

watering in the evening is not good the plant stays wet all night and disease can be a problem,in the morning is better. We are on watering restictions and can water 2x week. Ive heard from reliable sources that we will only be allowed 1x per week in the near future. I tell customers to let ground dry between watering and teach them to let the grass tell them when it needs water.
  3. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Hi Mike84,

It looks like you are in Canada, Southern Ontario. This is my rule of thumb. Water anytime dew is present on grass. So 3am is as good as 6am when the sun comes up. Most home owners don't like the noise of the irrigation pump at 3am so adjust accordingly. No dew on the ground, then you are too late. Most fungus growth will thrive in wet conditions, so try and keep your grass dry as long as possible. Also infrequent but long waterings are better than shallow but often waterings. On a cool season lawn about 1-1.5incs per week should be good. If you find pooling of water, then you need to change your watering pattern.

Hope this helps

4. djf

djf LawnSite Member

i tell all my customers to water between 6:00am and 9:00am