When trying to gain a lot of new business, do you take on PITA's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eho, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Just something I was wondering because so far this year I ve added ten lawns. Of these ten lawns I d say that five are "ideal lawns" ( weekly...easy yards) while ten are every other week but the owners seem nice and like pretty good lawns. I have turned down a couple of PITAs because I m not that desperate for customers. When looking to add a lot of business...would yall take on lawns you normally wouldnt. I dont mind taking on a few bi-monthlys as long as the customers are nice and easy to deal with. What about yall?
    EHO

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Those will come back to bite you in the azz. I had a few last year. Managed to lose them by season's end. It's a lot more profitable to use the time hanging flyers to get good customers, frankly.

As for the bi-weekly thing, I don't do it 'cause the lawns in question are either a mess to begin with and I don't want to be seen on them (some people will conclude that it's my fault it looks like he**) and because 14 days without mowing and I have one big job on my hands. Takes forever and makes a mess.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:angry: nobodies ever wants a pita, esp starting out. it will get you thinking all people are $#!) heads and its just not good for bus. stay far far away. by the way did i mention stay far far far away. Tony

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It all depends on how badly I want the money. I have several PITAs and they are my most profitable accounts. I have learned to accommodate them by telling them what they want to hear. Most of their inquiries are irrellevant anyway. In my opinion, most PITAs want to be placated, which I am more than happy to do. Most of my problem accounts have terrible advice, rotten timming, in short they repeat what uncle bo-bo told them in 1964. I just ignore them while making them feel that I am paying head to eveything they say. The more I go against them, the better their lawn looks.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was starting out, I took on the good, bad,and ugly. Put up with some real PITAs for a lot longer than I should have. I just didn't know better. My tolerance for BS is very low now, so I don't have many now, but the early years were rough. Good for you that you can recognize them and realize you don't need them.

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

It really depends on how much you need the money.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have never been that poor. I would rather eat dirt pies than eat Sh!t that some pitas want to cook up.

Someone is getting fired soon for that very reason.

Like Bobby screams. My way or no way.

Of course I am a little more dipolmatic about it, but it is my business and yes, the customer is usually wrong.

8. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I m able to turn them down now, but I took on some big PITAs when I started. Seemed like every lawn I had was a crappy duplex that waiting forever for me to mow it and I didnt get paid well at all but it was something I HAD to do. Granted, this was when I was about 14 or 15 and pushing my mower around town. Now I have a customer base and mow for ZERO duplexes and nothing waits more than every other week( dont mind too much cuz these are at least on a schedule and not random). I would say the majority of my lawns are quality lawns and hopefully I ll get to the point where I can only take on IDEAL lawns.
    EHO

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

To waste time with PITA's.. Send them on down the road to someones who doesn't value their time..

10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

When I started out I took anything I could. One thing I found about PITAS is that some of them are jsut fed up with being screwed over by the fly by nighters. Give them quality service, treat the fairly, and don't put up with their crap and some of them will become great customers. Don't get me wrong some people are always going to be jerks, you can just weed them out along the way.