1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

when u were young

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by suprman9019er, Jun 2, 2005.

1. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

hey if any of you guys started when you were younger....how did you guy market n stuff how did u get more customers¿????????¿

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

guy gets into a cab, and tells the driver," how do you get to carnagy hall?"
    the driver says, " practice, brother, practice"...dude, you found the right place for all the info u need...good luck
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

first, you advertize. this saying should give you something to think on. early to bed, early to rise, advertize, advertize, advertize.

flyers, are a cheap way of gettign the word out and work quite well. I find that I get about a 100 to one ratio of actual customers gained to flyers handed out. door hangers, phone book adds, and good work are also other ways of advertizing.

word of mouth can be your best friend or your worst enemy, depending on the quality of work that you do, and how you treat your customers.
  4. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I always used to hate asking for business advice like this becuase everyone who answers you is going to tell you: reputation + advertising + word of mouth. That's all true.....but if you're new to the business, you know that you can't have those things right off the bat, and the help is useless to you.

I would agree that flyers are a great way to start. Make sure you put them in people's paperboxes, or hang them at the front door. If you even think of putting one in or on a mailbox, the post office will be calling you and telling you about all the laws you've violated. I started in college and used to have a catch phrase that said: College student, will be competitive on all pricing! I definitely played the "poor college kid" role quite well. I hate to say it, you'll get work just becuase people want to "give the guy a break, and help put him through school." Little did they know that I wasn't the one paying the tuition bills, but it worked none-the-less. This only works if you really are going to school though.

Also, being that I started in my parents neighborhood, I knocked on doors. I kind of fumbled through my first 10 sales pitches, but got good at it soon, and picked up 12 customers out of 60 doors I knocked on. My experience tells me that every house gets about 30 flyers a spring from lawn companies. In fact, I was out one saturday, and there 5 different companies stuffing boxes. We had trucks just lining the streets trying to advertise. I would say that 70% of my customers are people I've talked to in person. Even if I was just putting out flyers, and it looked like someone was home, or out in the garage, I would go up and introduce myself. I got a lot more customers that way than just leaving something at the door.

Another funny thing happens when you talk to people. They start to ask questions: Do you do fertilizing? How much to rip out these 3 bushes? Do you do leaf clean-ups in the fall? I've picked up lots of side jobs like this from people who like to cut their own grass and just throw flyers in the trash. IF you're in front of them, there's got to be some kind of work they want done and are willing to pay for..... if you're the only one talking face to face, you're their man.
  5. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I've always tried to target my business to a small physical area. 36 accounts this year, solo for the largest part, all in 25 square miles. Most neighborhoods have 4-7 accounts next door to each other.

I was able to drum up business this way by offering a free cut to any existing customer for referrals that resulted in signed contracts. I also throw in free vacation mows to surrounding neighbors. I usually end up picking up all of the surrounding accounts.

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

i advertised in the newlondonday paper and the pennysaver paper and it works awesome,its expensive but it works .the newlondonday runs 7 days a wk and the pennysaver is every tuesday.costs -newlondonday is $400 per month because its daily and the pennysaver is $65 per month.someguys think its too expensive but it works real good,we will get 2 graveldriveways a month from the newlondonday and brush work etc so in new work alone every month we do a killing.if yo dont want to spend that much go 2 wks at a clip for advertising and give it a shot ,you will be surprised just make sure to call the people back promply .good luck
  7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Its nice to say i never advertised and got all my work word of mouth. But i can't say that. I am 19 and in my first year of business. I started the year off slow because i was depending on word of mouth. Once i bit the bullet and spent 250 bucks on a newspaper add. I only got 2 jobs directly from that add. However i did a good job for both those customers. That got me referals. A 250 dollor add brought in almost 30k in business so far.

Advertise. Show up on time. Do a quality job.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when I was young I would go door to door
  9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

19 years old, 1 year in business, one 250 dollar ad and 30k in business? Are you just cutting grass or doing landscaping also?
  10. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

I am young and I relied on word of mouth first, went door to door (about 20 houses), then I struck up a friendship with a former dairy farmer who purchased a franchise called NaturaLawn of America. I never spent a penny, and may net 45,000 this year, after 5 years in business, 3 of those years were full time. The biggest thing in my area is to be a white American. Foreign landscapers are too easy to come by.