When will Skidloaders go 20mph?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by shooterm, Dec 5, 2010.

1. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm roading a skid loader all over the town the last few days at a super sweet 12mph. I'm used to to running the loaders around town at mid 20s during a snowstorm so this pace gets old quik. Whats stopping these machines from hitting roading speed?

2. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

wheelbase coupled with the inherent instability of skid-turning

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

No suspension, hydraulic motors and chains don't like turning very fast for long periods of time, the axles bearings are not high speed bearings, and there's too many idiots on the road already.

4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

While 20 might not be possible why not 15? I think it's about time we moved faster than 12.

5. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

15mph makes sense. ASV already has a CTL that goes 12.5mph. I don't know if I'd want to go much faster that 15mph in a skid though. Not quite the same as a wheel loader or backhoe.

6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I was hoping with the new Case they would up the speed some but looks like I am left wanting...

For plowing that extra speed would help although you would have to wear your seatbelt or it would be painful.

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

my toolcat only goes 18 and it groans on a hill with 56 hp turbo. My Bobcat s330 is two speed and at high speed a bad bounce even with ride control is very, very rough. I would be scared of a 20 mph skid and I think the manufacturers probably are too.

8. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

If you run a SSL like I do, at 20 MPH, you would roll yourself over very quickly.:)

But, like Stu, I think 15 would be nice for plowing.

9. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I have a PT80 that we have clocked going 14 before.

J.

10. farmerknowsbest

farmerknowsbest LawnSite Senior Member

The safety issue will likely dictate that a skid loader next will get any faster until their design is modified drastically. Personally if I really needed to go that fast to plow I'd be looking for a tractor and blade or a back hoe/wheel loader.

Warren