When will Skidloaders go 20mph?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by shooterm, Dec 5, 2010.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

If I wanted to go faster in a skid steer, I'd take some crack.

2. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

20 mph in a skid sounds scary. . .can't imagine catching a hidden manhole under the snow at 20mph, it's painful enough when your just creeping along.

3. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

What, are you rubbing it in? :confused: :)

You guys that don't plow with skids and think they are fast enough don't get it. For plowing it would help massive to roll the snow. As for the other concerns, I heard all kinds of excuses before the mid-size skids got the two speed how unsafe it was. For other work I think it would work but you need ride control and a good suspension seat as well. Again getting to around 15 would satisfy me and I think is a doable thing. So which manufacturer is going to be the one to do this?

4. stuvecorp

Actually up in the Cities and our Bobcat dealer had a set of truck tires that were bigger so you would get some more top speed. I wish I had some pics of it.

5. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

A guy around here has a Deere with large tractor turf tires for more speed. I would imagine you would have to make some boom stops, looks cool though

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A skid steer going 20 mph (32 Kph) that would be scary, the JCB backhoe that I used to road all over h*lls half acre would top out at 22mph (36 kph) and it was a nerving ride when it started to do the shake with the 4 equal size tires.

7. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Honestly there isnt a issue at 12mph with a 10ft plow on the front. Road bounce is pretty normal in equipment. Seems to me they have room to speed it up even more so for the all wheel steer kinds.

8. Giles_uk

Giles_uk LawnSite Member

our jcb 3cx contractor does 32mph bit nervy on narrow rds with 8 tons of steel and lots of shiny cars, think the steering on the skids would make high speed a nightmare. drove a JD6920 with the 50kph box in it the other week. nice :)

get a small loader, telehandler, backhoe, tractor if you need to go faster

9. stuvecorp

I found this video, the tire/wheel setup is around $1200. They claim a Case skid was clocked at 18 with some others more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFaAJKtnjeQ

10. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

I thought he was gonna stall it more than a couple times. The reverse alarm was amusing.