When will spring get here?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by orangemower, Mar 18, 2013.

1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Last season I got started within a week from now. Well the weather say it's below 50 for the next 10 days! There's one week missed and the season hasn't even started yet!

2. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like spring will never get here. Last year we started mowing on 3/20. Not happening this year. But with Easter falling early I have a few customers that like their lawns cut before the holiday so looks like next week we will get to start

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Just the opposite of last year here too. Saturday temps were in the upper 70s. Now we are back to the misty 40s. Warm season grasses are still dormant. Weeds are not growing fast enough for people to want them cut. Not too funny how things even out:cry:

4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The jet stream is much lower than last year, gonna be a late spring for many in the North. I just viewed the jet stream compared to last year on the TWC.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

started mid february last year. it's gonna be april before i start this year. just doing 1 or 2 yards in the next 2 weeks. slow start for sure.

6. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

We've had snow on the ground since late December 2012, here @ PSU. It did melt most of the white gold a couple times over the winter, but the big plow piles have been in place for almost 3 months now. We have a blanket of snow currently, and more on the way today. In 2012, we had a hardscape project finished, all the spring clean ups, and a full round of mowing in by the last Day of March. It's quite possible we will have snow on the ground to start April 2013. What a difference a year makes....

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like Ill eighter be to fat or too skinny before the season starts, if it starts.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I know what you mean. I am 15 lbs heavier than at the end of last season:dizzy:

9. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

We started commercial clean ups two weeks ago, and we are mulching all of them now.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes for those upper Midwesterners, plan on an end of April start, which is normal for around here. There will be no early start. I hope April warms up like they say it is.

A normal to late start + drought again would NOT be good.