When will the calls start?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RickR1818, Mar 21, 2008.

1. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Just want some reassurance(hopefully). I haven't had any calls for mowing come through yet. I am in the Indianapolis area and it has been unseasonably cool and rainy. I started last year late in the season so I want to know when to expect some calls. Last late May and June I got up to about 20 accounts, had some move and I dropped a couple. Just want to see when the calls for mowing may start to come in.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All you trying to get new customers or are you wondering when your current customers will call?

PCSLAWN LawnSite Member

Iowa here we have talked to others in the area its slow as of yet not much in way of calls here either the long winter is got people down winter wise we think about lawns way before the people we mow for do if its not green they don't care about it yet and the ones that are calling i think are the ones that may be the picky type of customers you may not want if there woried about there lawn when the snows still melting beware those may be the type that are hard to please.. just my thought but heck what do i know.

Hang in there you will be fine just do follow up calls on bids you put in tell them your getting your crews roughts(sp)i know) ready well its late here good luck i hope i helped you
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Not many calls here yet either. Just a few from the regulars. One from my ad(and it was out of my area). I have also had to call regulars and sell them into letting me get the season started. Last year only got one call per month from my ad until many came in for the leaf season. This is the norm for the past 5 years or more. Late Spring and just too many LCO's out there, bad economy, are the reasons. Very stressful every year. Funny how regulars won't even bother to answer the phone until they are ready for you to start the season:rolleyes: They know, with the saturation of lco's, that they are in the drivers seat
  5. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Cool weather grasses(Fescue, Rye) is just beginning to put out here

Clover, Vetch and lots and lots of wild onions are putting out

But the lawn grasses----Bermuda, Zoysa, Centipede, St. Aug are still dormant with just a "hint" of greening up

I've had calls from last seasons(my first professional year) customers but no new ones

Hang in there---there will be a time coming shortly where you'll be saying

"Great Day!!! Won't the telephone ever STOP ringing!!!!???"
  6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Got to love them wild onions. Kinda smells like mowing a ceaser salad. :laugh:
  7. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

i use to mow a lawn that all that was in it was onions. It actually was so bad that it made my eyes tear up!!!!!!!!!
  8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Finished our 2nd tractor trailer load of mulch this week. Never had so much done so early, Easter is so early this year and many of our HOA's want their mulch out prior to Easter no mater when it may fall. Nice to mulch when it's cool.
  9. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

here we start mowing the 2nd or 3rd week in april, people aroudn her dont usually start calling until then either . most residentials here wait until it needs the first cut. but the ones we had last year have already confirmed
  10. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

in toledo ohio i start mowing april 15 the calls will come when its starts to green up