When will the grass slow down in NE Florida?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hannah Lawn Service, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Hannah Lawn Service

Hannah Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from Jax. Fl

When can I expect the St. Augustine grass here in Northeast FL to slow down to bi-weekly cuts on unfertilized grass? monthly cuts?

THANKS!!!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Last year it began to slow up a bit in November. It all depends on the weather, whenever the cold fronts start moving down, expect the grass to be virtually stunted.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I am south of you and my contracts call for the switch from weekly to EOW at some point in November. I usually make it the week of the 15th. I restart weekly service in April, usually the second week.

Rain, temperature and fertilization are what will extend or curtail your season.

4. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm down in the Sarasota area and I usually switch to EOW in mid Nov. This year I was cutting weekly first week of April. I would think unfertilized grass would slow down even sooner.

5. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

You guys actually have weekly customers? We're lucky if we can talk them into every 10 days. Most want EOW. But then again, that's mostly bahia.

6. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

98% of my customers get every week service, I never would be able to go to a 10 day schedule. what part of central florida are you in?

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I go to every other week Nov 1 regaurdless of the growth, but its usually slowing down by then.

8. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you think EOW is unreasonable for the winter in southern states? I skipped quite a few yards this week and it's only mid October. I was hoping to keep mowing weekly into November, but close enough I guess. What I hate is I have customers who will only want it done like once a month and I think it's ridiculous because then they're a ton of leaves, overgrown edges etc.