When would you NOT use high lift blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Aug 1, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Seems like alot of folks use em all the time, is there any time you shouldn't?
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

on dirt lots, for one
  3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

fall clean up's, and when bagging.
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use highlifts till the fall. I switch over to low lifts to keep the front blow-out to a minimum, when collecting leaves with my Exmark UltraVac.
  5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I hardly ever use them.
  6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Try exmarks mulchers with the anti blow-out baffel.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

High lifts until the leaves start dropping...then it's double Gators till the end.
  8. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I have noticed switching back to low lifts is that I use a whole lot less fuel. Also, I am able to turn on the blades at idle where high lifts will kill the engine. I only use high lifts when the grass is real tall in the spring and I may switch to them this week with all the rain. Really don't like them much anymore plus they are are LOUD.
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Use highlift all the time, except as noted in the fall use double Gators when dealing with leaves.

Considering how fast mowers go these days, I would think medium and especially low lift blades wouldn't work well. Up until the early '80s, most mowers used medium (sometimes low) lift blades. Riders weren't that common, most everybody used walkbehinds.