When you are an Idiot, the hardest thing to do is to admit it

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Broker, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Dumbest thing I have ever done. I told one of my service techs to take an a/c for 3 days service to get used to having it behind the truck to and to practice backing it up before he starts using it everyday. Well I had the installation crew working on two jobs this past Saturday and had to bring them some pipe (I drive a SUV for work) so I took his service truck and during the day I was trying to hurry up and turn around and totally forgot about the ac and did the following damage. I am actually glad that it was me and not a employee since I can only blame and get mad at myself. Lesson to learn from this, don’t be an idiot. Will post pics shortly

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

The reel broke off, f’d up the truck and ac.

ac.JPG

missing reel.JPG

chevy.JPG

reel.JPG

3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

hey at least now you can say " do as I say not as I do" !!!!!!
    j/k
    we've all had dumb attacks at one time or another

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Say OPP'S!!
    these things happen. Just remember this if one of your guys has an incident.
    we are all human. :D

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Nice. we've all made mistakes. Fortuantely I've never had one where I've caused damage to anything.

My office/shop is at my home, so I drive home with any equipment. I have left in the morning to go into town and forgotten that I had unhooked the compressor the night before, gotten 15 minutes from home and realized no compressor behind me.

Or left the tailgate down, took a corner, lost a toolbox full of tools - twice. Radio was going so I never heard it. Tools were all gone by the time I got back.

Last year my employee did some damage to the work truck though. He was in a parking lot when he saw a Pinto with flames painted on it. He turned to go around it, still looking at the lame paint job, when WHAM!! he slams into a concrete footer used for light poles. It had just been placed out there, no light pole on it yet. Some body damage, suspension work, new brakes in front. He was scared to tell me, but I know it happens. he offered to pay for it right away. I told him I wasn't happy, but it is a work truck and I realize things will happen. It did delay his next raise in pay though.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

As humans we all will/continue to make mistakes. I am rougher on myself though when I screw up than I would be on anyone else. Your employs will probably have a good laugh off of you though :D

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I used to drive an old S-10 as my work truck. While doing a large commercial install last year, I accidently drove the S-10 into an open manhole (why the manhole was open is beyond me, but it was a construction site). I smashed the crap out of the exhaust:

[​IMG]

Its really loud now.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know, if you'd only beat up that compressor some more, you could sell it on eBay. The pickup reminds me of the afternoon I discovered single malt scotch.