1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When you are ill??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kmcutters, Nov 29, 2000.

1. kmcutters

kmcutters LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,
    First of all I have been reading this forum for about 6 months now and this is my first post.Everytime I think of something to post I do a search and find the info I wanted then I am disapointed because once again I didnt get to do my first post LOL.
    I am planning to start a lawncare in the next season.My ? is what do you all do when you are ill and unable to do your accounts for a short time?Everyone hopes this does'nt happen but I am sure it does from time to time.I would like to try to have some kind of plan if this did happen.Maybe this is a dumb question but I always try to be prepaired for the worst
    Thanks for all your input.

2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome KM. I do 90% of the work for my customers. I have never been ill to a point where I cant work (knock on wood). I did however put a drill bit thru (1/4") my big toe 3 months ago. I pretty much limped from lawn to lawn with a weed wacker and blower for about two weeks. Scared me too. Now I'll have to find help just in case. Good luck.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

please allow me to be the second to say "welcome kmcutters!" it isn't my forum but I am sure you are welcome.

you ask a good question. the only time in the last five years that I have been unable to service my accounts is in the death of family members. when I'm sick, if I can work, I do.

in the case of one death in my family, I had to farm out the cutting for several weeks. it wasn't a perfect way to do business but it worked. the next year I did loose one account to the guy that subbed for me. I think he lowballed me but without his help I'd have lost more than one. good luck.

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

As everyone knows here.....YOu don't work, you don't eat!! These places don't cut themselves, so you have to be out there. I personally have been pretty sick and yet I drag myself out of bed and go to work. I have three guys working, but I just feel better being out there with them!
  5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have always worked when normal illnesses have struck, give or take a day or so that I could lay out and catch up later.

Try to have a friend, co-worker, relative, etc.. get use to using your equipment. In a drastic need they could help.

Get to know a few of your competetors. If you know one or two close enough in the future, they will likely help you out. This is where the idea of not being a butt about bidding on jobs or stealing jobs comes into play if this is your only option. In otherwords, you do not want to burn bridges that you might need to cross later. Something everyone must decide how to go about it, who to tick off and who not to tick off.

If that worried about it make sure you speak to an insurance agent about some sort of coverage. I am sure for a price you can get about anything.
  6. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

The best advice I can give, which was mentioned, is have a good friend or family member learn your equipment. In the case of an emergency he/she can man your post temporarily. As far as getting to know the competition.......cant say thats the route i would take but think it over carefully. Good luck and welcome to LS.
  7. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

If I'm really sick, I just send the guys out by themselves.But if you're a one man operation you'll have to have a backup plan..Either a friend or relative or another lawn care co...Also, you can buy disability insurance. It pays you if you are out of work for a long period..Luckily in 5 yrs., I've only had to take off about 7 days for sickness..Good Luck....Clean-Cut
  8. dhicks

dhicks Member

Skookum is right on target because that's what I do. I will always help another contractor out for a week or two but my accounts come first. Oh yeah, get paid up front by your fellow contractor before you do his/her work.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I usually only get ill around April 15 of every year. Just kidding :) I cracked a rib a couple of years back when I slipped in the bathtub. I could do most of the work but I couldn't get the mowers on and off the trailer. My wife got to ride around wih me for a week and take them off and put them back on. After about a week the rib finally broke and I got to take a week off. Fortunately it was during August and the grass had slowed down growing to the point where I could skip everybody a week.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I dont want to think about not being able to work,If Im alive and able to pull myself to the truck,Ill go to work-Its only when I cannot that i wont-that hasnt happened yet,but i have a PT business,and wife can do it all,she does help now,stripes wont be quite as nice though,but itll be OK for a week or 2.