1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When you are looking at used equipment...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbricker, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I had a hunch the other day about a mower I was looking at, that the service intervals just might have been a bit over-long.

So it suddenly occurred to me to ask the owner, "Hey, is your grease gun handy? I would like to squirt a little grease into these spindles."

And the guy says, "He!!, man, I'm no mechanic. So I get everything done at the dealer. Every spring. First thing before the customers start calling, _________ [name of local dealer] goes through the whole works."

I managed to keep from telling him he was an idiot. And somebody else can buy his mower. It just had about 400 hours on it, but it sure sounded like a lot more.
  2. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

You were smart to leave that mower where it was!If a man don''t think any more of his equitment than that.............he must not realize how expensive it is when replacement time comes! :sleeping:
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Spindles are one thing, but I wonder if he ever checked the oil? :dizzy:
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, I agree. Spindles are cheap to fix compared to the motor being toast at 500 hours.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I don't know why people want to go buy a high dollar mower and not maintain it. Maybe some people are just too dumb. I don't know. It was a smart move to walk away from that mower.
  6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: Travis so true, i have a walker with 6000 hours on it and it looks better than some of these i see with 400 on them, guys just dont care, it simply amazes me how guys throw down $8000 on a mower and then dont take care of them, if i had back all the time i spent on preventive mant. id be playin a hell of alot more golf thats for sure. Tony
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Hey general could you im me about the longevity of your walkers parts engine blower deck and so on thanks. I like to know what i have to do to keep it as long as you have thanks