When You Arrive To A Customer's House To Cut.............

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TONTAGE, Jul 4, 2008.

1. TONTAGE

TONTAGE LawnSite Member
    from CT

do you ever find yourself picking up the yard before you cut because there are things in the way?thought it might be an interesting thread.ive had to wind up hoses and move trampolines out of the way....:dizzy:

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

sometimes....... although I do not move trampolines because I do not want the responsibility or liability of something coming apart, etc and an injury occurring.....

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Hoses, yes. Chairs and fold up tables, yes a few but thats about it. Majority of my customers are great about keeping the yard clear for their scheduled day.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Here in Utah everybody has kids like they're going out of style :laugh: ...

So there's crap all over the lawns. I send notices out to everyone if they're repeat offenders that it HAS to be picked up or I charge them for my time.

I'm a grass cutter, not a trash collector or housemaid.

5. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I tell clients that "I MOW TOYS!"

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I mowed a two-way walkie talkie on a sloppy lawn on Tuesday. Rather than deal with them being upset at me, I pocketed all the plastic pieces and moved on. :angel:

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Most of my customers are pretty well trained and keep their lawns cleaned up. I've had a few that think part of my job in mowing is to uncover the lawn first, this had to change. One lady always had at least 2, if not 3 hundred foot hoses stretched all the way out every danm week, usually with sprinklers on when I get there at the same day and time as I do every week. At first I'd shut them off if needed and roll them up neatly, but after a while, and after asking to PLEASE have them picked up I was getting peeved. I started just slinging them into piles and leaving them all twisted in the shrubs, they were still left out. So I put a note in one bill that I would begin charging $2.00 for each hose I had to coil up each week. She got a lot better about keeping them up then!

Only other problem I have is with dog toys but dogs aren't too good about picking things up so I usually just grab them and toss them to where i've mowed.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

HAve one that the Guy sends his kid out when we arrive to pick up toys and JUNK the 1st time he did this,,,,, I told the kid to go back in the house, I would do it..

the father came out and said I'm trying to get him to understand he has to work and help out. Pls dont send him back into the house,
    the kid comes back out to do his job, WE LEAVE.....

these kids dont pick up things, they play around....

the father calls me and says WTF, I tell him I dont have 30 minutes to spend watching his child play.
    he ask will we come back..........NO get someone else.....

so I've got a little attitude going

9. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

yup i do all the time

10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I will pick up things every now and then as long as it doesn't become a habit. I won't move trampolines or anything that big or heavy. Hoses are okay the first time, but they get an e-mail about it that night and if it happens again they face a fee to roll up the hoses.