when you bid a flat seasonal price, hourly or per cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IMAGE, Feb 1, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

are you figuring your hours for the season, and bidding that? (plus some slush time?

or are you figuring how much per cut, times how many cuts?

I come up with a way lower bid when I figure it at my estimated my season hours. Does that mean I am trying to charge to much per time, or not enough per hour?

ex: a $100 cut per time X 24=$2400
    or: 33 X $60 = $1980 (add 3 hours slush time and its still only $2160)

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I would think most guys go with a 'per cut' price and figure how many times for the year, and whatever else recurring work might happen, and spread it out over however many months. That's what I do.

3. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

:dizzy::confused:
    ditto

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here. 22 weeks x amount per cut, + spring & fall cleanup / 6 months = monthly fee.

I don't see where you're getting your 33 or 60 number??

Are you saying you're running 33 man hours for the year at $60 per hour??

If that's the case, then you're running at just under 1.5 hours per cut?? I don't see where the two different numbers can intermingle.

5. IMAGE

from midwest

Yes I was meaning 33hrs X $60.

6. IMAGE

from midwest

So not to many of you guys bid stuff on a flat seasonal price?

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay.. I figured out where another one of your math fo-pahs are.

You're pricing it out at basically 1.5 hour if you charge for the season, so your math should be 36x60 for the season, not 33x60, for the $2160.

But that's only $90 / cut. Your other figure is $100 per cut x 24, for the $2400, so that's where you're missing out on the extra $240.

I'd go with the flat cut figure. Some weeks it's going take 30 minutes longer, some weeks it's going to take 30 minutes less time.

8. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the above post. It may take longer some times than others. Get a per cut price and multiply times estimated cuts per season, add in extras and divide by x number of months.

9. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on the type and quantity of work your doing but for mowing lets say, figure an acre is $60 or so and fractions of an acre are a percentage of that. Then figure 4 cuts per month and bill monthly. If they are larger commercial accounts, figure a per cut price the same way and add iin extras like mulch or clean ups and divide by 12 months. Flat rate pricing is a good Idea just so long as you get fair wages. Your customer is paying not only for lawn mowing but also for your reputation. Reliabilty and quality work are just as much a part of the service as cutting the grass.