When you catch a thief... Red handed.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cahermit, Jul 4, 2006.

1. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

I have a relatively small business, with a small route, and 1 set of necessary equipment; mower, blower, hedge trimmer and string trimmer. A small trailer, with a cable that locks all of the equipment up. So the other day I was taking my mower and trimmer into the back yard of a residence, as is precaution for any equipment not locked up. For some reason I went back to the front, and there was a hispanic man leaning over my trailer. He didn't have anything in his hands, and his hands weren't in the trailer, and the blower, trimmer, and gas cans were locked up. So he sees me and asks if i could give him a business card so he could call me later for an estimate (his english vocabulary was probably in the area of about 25-30 words). I was kinda confused as to what was going on, I didn't see a car, so I assumed that he was a neighbor that walked up and was asking for an estimate. I gave him a card, and he ran across the street to a minivan with it's back hatch open jumped in and burned rubber with the back open. Oh S**T I thought:dizzy: . So I got his plate numbers and called him in to the local coppers:clapping: .
    Don't know what good it did, but what would you have done in this situation? I have a sizable maglight in the front of my truck... I think I might consider that my first line of defense, or offense against the imposing threat of thieves:hammerhead: , but I'm not so sure that's legal.

2. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what is legal either. I would say the maglite would be great if the person is assaulting you or they are continuing to try take you equipment after you have confronted them and are trying to stop them. Another way to stop them would be the string trimmer! Ouch!

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

that or a kimber 45 to shoot him if he's unarmed put a weapon in his hand to call it self defense.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd run after him with a string trimmer. No hispanic with bad vocab wants YOU to cut their grass...

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

If i ever catch someone stealing something off my truck or trailer, i am gonna beat the **** out of them. Protect my lively hood 1st. Worry about what's legal after i beat him up then hold him down while the cops get there.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

o'boy o'boy o'boy o'boy o'boy. I've been salivating reading your thread. What I wouldn't do to catch one. The one I DO catch will just have to payup for all the other ones!

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't put that "pay" thing in there. It just showed up.
    Let's try something.............
    pay pay pay pay pay pay pay pay pay

8. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Think I'd zip tie the bastard to the trailer, and take him on a little run..

Man I hate thieves...

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with Balor. I swear, I think I could kick 6'7 330's butt (and I'm a big fan of his) if I saw him stealing my equipment. Adrenaline and flat out rage can be quite an asset.

If anyone remembers, I had a thread last October about my two new RedMax blowers getting stolen. I still remember the unbelieveable anger that set in once I realized what had just happened.:angry:

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Too bad you didnt have a chance to beat his pathetic A**