1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When you don't win a bid!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawnslawns, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

Hey guys found out that I didn't get the bid on the 8 acres in bidded on last week. I was just wondering if you guys ask how much the winning bid was or not. Will they tell you if you ask? I figured they wouldn't but how do you guys find out how much you missed it by? Thanks.
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I certainly would follow up and ask. Then go further and ask what it takes to become a strategic partner in the care of their lawn so you can be better preparred the next time you have to bid the property.
  3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

very few customers will tell you the truth if you lost the bid so,,,,,go postal on them!
  4. kmclawn

kmclawn LawnSite Member

I have asked on a few, some will tell you and others won't. Don't sweat it. Somebody will eventually spill the beans. If you bid truthfully you know how much you needed to make on the job. If it went for less you could't do it. Sometimes it is better not to know the truth. I have two large bids out right now and I know somebody else will bid it for less. I just figure what I need to have and the rest is up to them.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Perhaps you didn't lose the bid due to money. Perhaps it was elack of experience, how you presented yourself to them, lack of knowledge, no references, etc., etc., etc.

In other words, tell them thank you for giving them the opportunity, yada yada yada and then simply ask why they didn't select you. Perhaps then you could correct the problem (assuming there even is one).
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have missed bids by not having them complete or the other LCO would offer snow removal or weed control, something I didnt offer or have in the bid. Sometimes it is just the way you may of had it worded. But yes I would ask how much and what service did they get for that $$$